Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Liz's POV

I was having trouble sleeping. Blake's words from earlier were haunting my mind. Does he think I'm not able to complete this mission? Does he think I can't get close to Nick without getting attached?

What if he's right?

Nick has been here for almost a week and already had me worrying for him all day long. That's definitely not my normal reaction to people. This guy somehow kept pulling me in, even if he's doing it on purpose or not. 

Tapping on my window brought me back from my thoughts.

I groaned just as annoyed as I would be if I had actually been sleeping-- even though I wasn't. 

I push myself off my comfy bed and walk across my dark bedroom and towards the window. I push the curtains aside and I see my best friend's face watching mine from outside. I sighed inaudibly and quickly opened the window. He climbs inside. 

I fold my arms in front of my chest and raise an eyebrow.

"What the hell where you thinking coming through the window?" I asked, my tone edgy.

Blake smiles lopsidedly and shrugs. "What's the big deal, I've done it before remember?"

"Yes, I do remember. You did climb through my window... when you were eight! You were young and stupid back then; what's your excuse now? You could get yourself killed, Blake" I ranted. 

"As much as I enjoy you being concerned about my well being... I climbed with a ladder" Blake said with a grin.

"Are you serious?" I ask. He nods and smiles wider.

"You're an idiot" I mumble, turning away and started to fake cry.

"But I'm your idiot" he replies happily, while hugging me from behind; enveloping me in his arms.

I close my eyes and enjoy the embrace.

"You're so warm" I whisper softly.

"That's what you always say" Blake says, a smile on his voice while resting his chin on my shoulder. 

"It's 'cause it's true. You have like your own sun inside" I say simply. I hear him chuckle and I smile. I liked making him laugh, even if it was a chuckle. 

There was a time, after Blake's mother left that he would never laugh. At all. It was the saddest thing. 

Eventually he started letting go of the pain that was left from her mother's swift departure. Only then his father died and he was back right where he started.

If you think a heartbroken girl is a sad sight, I can't express how much sadder it is to see a heartbroken boy. 

A heart broken boy is like a dying star. When a star doesn't have enough "Life" to sustain its core, it either collapses and its light dies out or it expands until it explodes into pieces. The same applies to heartbreak. When you've suffered for so long, you start losing that part of you that wants to keep going, that part of you that wants to live. When the pain becomes so much, you'll either fade into nothingness or break altogether. Then your light, which used to shine so bright at some point, will become fainter and fainter until there is no more light and you'll be just a dark shadow. The pitiful remains of something that used to be so splendid and beautiful. 

I remember Blake's light fading slowly, subtly. I felt so impotent at not being able to keep his star alive. But he made it. I don't know how but he made it. I thank God every day for keeping my best friend shinning like the Sun itself.