Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Liz's POV

Blake and I left my house to go to work, not before reminding Nick to call if he needed something.

We entered the music store, said "hi" to Scott, who was the only employee currently in his shift. We both made our way silently to the back and to the manager's office. It was empty, naturally. I locked the door behind us and paced to the other side of the small office, and lifted one of the books from the dusty old bookshelf. The wooden piece of furniture slid to the side, revealing a secret metal enforced door, like the ones they have in banks. I tapped on the buttons the password code to gain access and after the scanner got my eye identification the door slid upwards, letting us in. 

Blake was unusually quiet today and I was about to ask him what was wrong, when my dad came into view.

"Honey, we need to talk" he said, his tone serious.

Blake waved me goodbye and kept walking deeper through the headquarters of "Witness Protection Program". I followed my dad into his very spacious "office". He hadn't even sat down on the chair behind his glass desk when I spoke up.

"Nick's an assignment isn't he, not your best friend's son?" I went straight to the point. The doubt had been eating me up inside.

My father lifted up an eyebrow.

"Is he or not?" I asked again. 

My father sighed, "Yes. He is" he confirmed. 

I let out a frustrated breath.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked, anger seeping into my voice.

"Honey, calm down will you? I didn't tell you because he's my assignment, not yours. Why are you so concerned about this?" he asked slowly, watching me carefully. 

I let out a snort.

"I don't care, I just hate when you keep stuff from me. When mom died, you promised we'd be a team. You can't just lie to me, I'm your daughter"  I reminded him.

He nodded in agreement.

"You're right, I'm sorry. It's just that Nick's case is very special. I couldn't tell even you, orders from above" he explained. 

I raised an eyebrow.

"If you couldn't tell me a few days ago, why are you telling me now?" I asked hesitantly.

"Because I have to go. I have to pick up a new assignment over in Japan" he told me.

I nodded my understanding. But then a thought hit me.

"But, wait. What about Nick? Isn't he your assignment?" I questioned.

"I'm glad you caught up" my father said with a smirk, "and no, he's not my assignment anymore. From this moment on, he's yours" he announced.

I sat down hard on the only unoccupied chair in the room.

"What?" I asked in disbelief. 

"He will be your first big assignment... and trust me, it is big. A very important organization of thugs and gang-lords is looking for him back in America. He's more or less an accidental witness of a huge drug deal that was being made, now they want him dead. We had to get him out of the country in less than 24 hours. We made a cover story to keep his family out of the whole problem, a car-crash. No survivors. There's not guarantee they'll believe the whole accident thing so that's why he's staying with us" my father explained.