Chapter 27

***************************************************************************

Chapter 27

Nick's POV

I stared at my feet as I walked on soft sand, my shoes leaving light footprints behind. I had felt like I was suffocating in that theater. That was so unlike me. I always find the bright side to any situation but the thought of not always meaning something to Liz was like a kick to my stomach. I'm not stupid though, I know what this all means. I am in love with her. I could pretend it was too fast or too soon or too surprising but it really wasn't.

The way she made me feel is like nothing I've felt before. It's like standing in front of the fireplace on a chilly night. I know that as soon as I walk away from the heat source I'll go back to being cold, but I can't help wishing the warmth will somehow stay with me forever. That's how she made me feel. Like as long as I stay close to her, the chillness that threatens to capture my heart will stay away, and her warmth will scorch my soul, marking it as hers. 

God, I was in it deep.

I closed my eyes, taking a breath while listening to the soft swish sounds the waves made as they kissed the shore. They spoke to me like soothing light whispers, telling me to find her now and tell her. But I refused to do this right now. I felt unstable, as if I was standing on quicksand and I was slowly sinking within its depth even though I wasn't struggling.

"Taking off to clear your head and figure things out is one of those things that always made you a bit more mature than me. I tend to lose my shit without thinking things through", I tensed at the words.

That voice. It couldn't be who I thought it was. It's impossible. How could he be here?

I wasn't breathing, just waiting to see if the person talked again or if I had imagined it. 

"I would have thought he would be a little more welcoming to his brothers after not seeing them in so long. Classic Nick Jonas to pretend is not much of a deal" this voice was different but just as familiar as the other one. I stood up slowly, scared to turn around and realize I was hearing things and losing my mind. But as soon as I shifted my position, I saw them. They were standing right in front of me. 

"Kevin...Joe..." the words felt like sweet honey on my lips. Tears welled up in my eyes but they never fell, and I had no time to say anything before I was attacked in a hug by my elder siblings. I stood in between them, sandwiched by their bodies but smiling like I didn't know I was capable of.

"Oh my God, what are you guys doing here? How did you find me?!" I asked in my confusion.

Both brothers tensed up at my questions and their arms that had been holding me fell to their sides awkwardly. I suddenly felt colder and I'm not talking about temperature.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked, a bit of desperation rising with my voice.

"Nick, there's a lot you need to know" Joe said gently.

"I'm ready. Tell me" funny how I sounded determined when I felt like the new information would turn my world upside down. Again.

Liz's POV

The short walk to my house was eerily quiet. Blake refused to tell me about the news my father brought and it only served to reassure me that it wasn't going to be good. Not necessarily bad, but I knew I wouldn't like it. Dread filled up my body slowly while I walked up the steps to my front porch. My movement decreased when my hand reached for the doorknob of my front door, and to my relief, Blake stopped me with a gentle hand on my arm.

"Liz" my name left his lips in a soft whisper. I turned around to face him but the expression he wore was unreadable.

"Yeah?" I prompted. 

Blake took a small breath and released it.

"Nothing, just remember I'm here. I'll always be here for you" he said. 

I offered him a smile, "I know". Then without another word, he opened the door for me and I walked inside. 

My father was leaning against the living room wall, his arms folded against his chest, waiting for me.

"I'm glad you finally decided to come home" his voice held more relief than anything and ignoring his slight sarcastic tone, I ran and met him with a hug. 

"Dad, I missed you" I said. And I did. I hadn't seen him in over two months. It was sometimes hard for me to find my north when he wasn't here. He was my dad, I would always need his guidance.

Young people have the tendency to believe they know more about life than everyone else does, but in reality that's our ignorance peeking out. Unless everyone refused to learn anything from all the mistakes made through their lives, there will always be someone who knows more than us. A person never stops learning, everyday brings a new lesson. 

"I missed you too, honey" his gruff voice replied.

I then broke off the embrace.

"Why did you change my play?" I asked as soon as the thought came to me. My father's smile faltered and then turned into a grim line.

"I'm a bit disappointed that you have to ask" he started saying, "you know Nick is under witness protection, he's not supposed to be showing his face in front of the whole Madagascar community. I cannot believe how irresponsible you've been in my absence".

I let my gaze fall to the wooden floor in shame. He was right, I was so irresponsible. Something could have happened. Someone could've recognized Nick!

"I'm sorry" I said helplessly. My father's frown softened and a tired sigh escaped his lips.

"It's alr-" but he was cut off by the loud knock on our front door. I frowned at this.

"Who could be knocking that way at this hour of the night?" I wondered outloud, while glancing at my phone. It was almost midnight. 

Blake quickly went to answer the door and a few seconds later a fuming Nick entered the living room.

"You're a witness protection agent?" he questioningly demanded. 

For the first time in my life, I was speechless. 

_______________________

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
-Oscar Wilde  

________________________

A/N: First of all... 8,000 reads?? This just happened today and I got so excited that I finally found motivation to write!! Thank you so much for supporting my story, it means more than what I can express in words. Seriously. Anyways, 1 more chapter left? Yep, how do you guys feel about that? Also I was thinking that I don't know who to dedicate the last chapter to. I guess I'll dedicate it to the first person who comments in this chapter? Yeah, I'll do that :) Okay, that's enough I guess, until next week peeps, love ya! xoxo