Chapter 2

Liz's POV

There was something about Nick... there was something dark in his eyes, almost like a raging storm. 

As a surfer, storms are a good thing, because they mean great, awesome waves. But the storm in this guy's eyes was everything but awesome. There is a mix of pain, anger and emptiness whirling in their depth. They gave me the chills, and not the good ones. 

I gave him a tour of the house; he didn't say a word once, just nodded once or twice to appear as if he actually cared. It bothered me more than it should just because my dad had opened up our home to him and he was being kind of ungrateful, even if he wasn't saying it.

At the second floor I stopped in front of a white door with a "Hi!" sign on the surface. 

"This is my room, in case... you know, if you need anything or whatever" at this point I was getting annoyed, his lack of response, emotion.. or anything was getting to me. 

I didn't show him my room, and he didn't ask to see it either so I moved along to the door  across the hall. 

"This is the guest bedroom, aka your bedroom for the time being" I stated, emotionless, before opening the door and stepping in. He walked in behind me and stopped on his tracks.

"That's a nice view" he said nonchalantly. 

"The best one in the whole house" I said dryly.

"I'm guessing you wanted this room" his tone sounded... amused. It spiked at my bad mood.

"Yeah. But my dad believes in the whole 'guests have to be treated like royalty, they have to be given the best' or something like that. Being honest, I hate the idea of a stranger staying with us, especially one as unfriendly as you".

He turned around to face me, his face was serious.

"I'm not very fond of the idea either. I really don't want to be here... but I've got no other choice" he said. Then he went to stand by the window, to his clear view of the beach. 

"Everyone has a choice you know, especially when it comes to where to live. It's obvious you're American with that accent and all, you're in freaking Madagascar now; it's a long way from home" I commented.

He turned around, his eyes wide with surprise.

"Madagascar?" he asked. I nodded, confused.

"You came here and didn't know where you are?" I questioned. That was weird...

"It's just.. that, um, well..." he stuttered his way into an excuse that never came.  

"Well?" I urged on.

He was about to, I'm guessing stutter some more when a shout rang through the house, right after I heard the front door close.

"Liz! Where are you?" I heard Blake, my best friend yelling from the first floor.

I looked back at Nick, who look relieved of being interrupted.

"We're not finished here" I warned. He shrugged, apparently not caring.

I didn't have time to add anything because Blake ran up the staircase and was about to knock on my door when he turned and saw me on the room across the hall.

"There you are!" he said, excitedly. He was always excited, most times for no reason whatsoever or for any reason at all.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked, before he crossed the distance between us and picked me up in his embrace, my feet lifted from the floor for a moment. Then he put me down again.

"Okay, so there are massive wa-" but he trailed off. His gaze finally registering Nick.

"So... you in a room alone with a boy. Did I interrupt something?" he wiggled his eyebrows at me playfully and I smacked him in the arm.

"Don't be an idiot. Blake this is Nick. Nick this is Blake" I introduced them. Nick actually came forward and extended his hand; Blake shook it. 

"Nick is my dad's best friend's son... he lost his home and will be staying for a while" I explained. Blake "Oh'ed". Then he forgot all about Nick, remembering why he came here in the first place.

"Anyways, so the waves are massive today, you need to get out there" he said. Of course, he is talking about surfing, that was basically what our lives revolved around. 

I finally noticed that he was shirtless, with a backpack clinging from his shoulders. He had bathing suit shorts and sandals on. And was also wearing dark classes and a cap.

A silver cross and black leather necklaces clung from his neck and rested on his bare tanned chest.

I was so used to Blake being like this I hadn't noticed before but then I  thought about how this would look to a stranger and a rush of blood rose to my cheeks.

I involuntarily looked up at Nick, who I was surprised to find already watching me. The heat from my cheeks spread all over my face and I looked at the ground, avoiding eye contact.

I don't like this at all.

Nick's POV

So this Blake guy basically barged inside like he owned the place, of course I couldn't even care because it was not my house. 

Once I actually met him face to face, I wasn't better impressed either. He was shirtless. He hugged Liz very warmly and then made a joke about me and Liz being alone in a room. He was the typical surfer dude you could see in every corner back in L.A. 

I actually caught myself wondering if he was Liz's boyfriend, not that I cared; I was just curious. Then I decided maybe I could tell by their body language, so I was studying Liz when she looked up at me, catching me watching her.

Her cheeks were a soft pink color but when she saw me staring, the color brightened to a reddish tone; then she looked down at her feet. I couldn't help the smile that tugged at my lips. 

Blake cleared his throat. My smile vanished.

I had forgotten he was here for a second, unfortunately he wasn't very easy to ignore.

"So you coming?" Blake asked her. She met his gaze.

"Of course!" she replied with a smile.

She took a step before she stopped.

"Wait! My dad told me I had to make him feel at home" she said slowly; "him" was me.

"I'm fine" I declared. She rolled her eyes.

"You're annoying, and the tough guy act doesn't suit you well. But I always do what my father asks... so you're coming with us down to the beach" she said, with no room to argue. I stared at her in disbelief. Who on earth did she think she was?

"I'll pass" I said, ignoring her glare.

"You're coming. Period. Now change if you want to or come like that" she said. I looked down at my clothes. I was wearing a white and gray striped t-shirt and khaki shorts. 

I sighed, annoyed.

"Fine. I'll go like this" I muttered, but she just nodded, unfazed. 

I knew our relationship for the time being was not going to be a friendly, pleasant one. On the contrary, I had a feeling it would only go down hill from here.