Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Joe's POV

"I mean no disrespect sir, I appreciate everything that you and Witness Protection have done to keep my brother safe. But what do you mean you can't take me to him?!" My voice rose an octave at the last few words, and though I wanted to apologize for it, I couldn't. I wouldn't. 

Carlos, or whatever his real name is, gave me a sympathetic look. I looked away, annoyed.

"Joe, I know you're not happy with the whole situation. I can assure you, no one is more upset about this whole thing than Nick. The poor kid is living with strangers in the middle of nowhere, without his family. I would love nothing more than taking you to him and give him at least that much for him to go on, but I can't. He is my... my family's responsibility. If I were to take you to him, we could risk your brother's safety, and I know that's the type of guilt you wouldn't want to live with" he tried to reason.

"Of course I don't want to put Nick in harms way. But you don't understand.... Nick is not just my brother, he's also my best friend in the whole world. I can't just pretend he's dead!" I could feel tears burning in the back of my eyes but I try not to let it show.

"I'm deeply sorry. I can't take you to him. It would endanger both of you, it's not worth the risk" he said, unaffected by my desperation. He was probably used to scenes like this, by incautious family members that would do any amount of begging to be able to see their loved ones.

I let my head hang low, disappointed. I needed to see him, hug him, let him know that no matter how far he is, we all think of him, all the time. 

"Can I at least talk to him, please?" I couldn't keep the pleading tone off my voice.

Carlos sighed, it was a heavy sound that must have come from the soul, "I'll see what I can do" he said softly. I looked up to meet his blue eyes and couldn't help feel hopeful.

"I will thank you forever" I said. He waved off my words and after staring at his phone for about fifteen seconds, he started dialing a phone number.

Liz's POV

The ringing of my cellphone startled me awake. I reached for it under my pillow, slid my finger across the screen to answer the call and put the phone against my ear. 

"Huh?" was all that came out from my mouth in my sleepy state.

"Hey, honey. I'm sorry I woke you up". Hearing my dad's voice woke me up and I sat up on my bed.

"Dad! You finally called!" I exclaimed. Then I realized it was three in the morning so I lowered my tone of voice. 

"I was so worried. I hadn't heard about you so I went to talk to the Captain. He told me you were going to California. What's going on, dad? Why are you over there?" I went on.

I heard my father's chuckle through the line and couldn't help but smile. 

"I thought I was supposed to be the parent" he joked, "and yes, I am in California. A problem aroused and I had to come and address it. Sweetheart, I need you to put Nick on the phone" my dad requested straightforwardly.

"Is everything alright?" I asked, concern slipping into my voice while my heart rate picked up in my chest. 

"Yeah, I've got a surprise for him" my dad said. I could clearly hear the smile in his voice. I frowned at this. Did they find a way for him to get back home? The thought had panic rising inside of me, but I tried to keep it out of my voice.

"What surprise?" I asked as calm as I could muster myself to sound.

"Can't tell you. But you'll know. Put him on, please?" he asked once again.

"Dad, he's sleeping. Can't this wait?" I questioned. I heard another male voice through the line and frowned; who is that?

"Hun, I think now is the best time, please wake him up and put him on" my dad repeated patiently. I sighed inaudibly, before pushing my feet over the edge of my bed, standing up. I walked slowly across my room, opening the door and slipping into Nick's room. I really didn't want to wake him up for two reasons; First, he hardly gets sleep, he's always having nightmares. The second reason is that I didn't know what this surprise was and if it happened to be news about him going back to America I wouldn't want him to go. That's the honest truth. Whatever feelings I was developing for Nick, if that's even the case, had me frozen with fear that he would be leaving soon.

I approached his bed, standing beside Nick's sleeping form. I let out a breath before poking his arm.

"Nick" I whispered.

There was no response from him.

"Nick" I said a bit louder while tugging at his blanket. I saw his eyes open in confusion. He looked up at me and smiled. Something fluttered in my stomach but I ignored it. 

"Dad's on the phone, he wants to talk to you" I explained briefly.

Nick looked up at the clock on the night table which read '3:45AM' and he sat up slowly, reaching up to take the phone; I hesitated a moment before handing it to him. Our fingers brushed when he grabbed it, I pulled my hand back quickly and he smiled knowingly at me before placing the phone against his ear. 

"Hello" Nick greeted, I couldn't hear the other part of the conversation but I knew my dad was talking because Nick was listening carefully. After a few moments later Nick's eyes widened and looked up at me with the cutest expression I had seen him wear. A soft smile clung to his lips, and he looked so innocent... but happy. It was the first time I saw him show that emotion since he got here.

"Joe" he breathed.

Joe? As in his older brother Joe?

____________________________________________

Without a family, man, alone in the world, trembles with the cold.

-Andre Maurois 

____________________________________________

A/N: Heyyy guys!!! I hope you are all doing good! I want to apologize for my crappy updating schedule! I've had so much school work, it's insane! But hey, that's college for you :/ Don't worry though, classes end next week so my updating will go back to normal :)

Anyways, let me know what you think!