Arc 1: A World of Sand, Chapter 5: Love Letter

Xing Conglian felt that Lin Chen was in some kind of trouble.

He had just arrived at the police station in the morning and sat on his seat to read the report released by the forensic department. He had only eaten half of the buns bought from the cafeteria when his subordinate told him that the director had called him in his office for tea.

The old director brewed a cup of Longjing tea, which was not so authentic. He held the cup in his hands, sat down in front of him, and looked like he was going to have a long talk with him.

"Conglian, how's the case?" asked the director while touching his teacup.

Xing Conglian looked at the director's half-bald head and his shiny forehead, then he sat up straight: "The case is still under investigation. I just got the report from the forensic department, and the report shows that the rings in the park have obvious signs of man-made damage, so this should be a murder."

It seemed that when he heard the word "murder", the director became distressed for a moment: "Conglian, I am old and my heart is not good, I hope you can say such stimulating words in a lower voice?"

"The murderer's motive has not been clear yet, or if it is related to the hospital and the white sand case on Chushui street..."

"Shut up!" The old director almost covered his heart: "Don't talk about this relationship!"

"But Professor Fu said..."

"Bullshit!" The old director slammed the table:
"If Fu Hao was at this level, his teacher could wake up laughing like it was a dream!"

"Our professor Fu is an external expert after all."

"Damn it, Fu Hao learned about psychometrics, and he's never been out in the field. You're telling me that he can analyze criminal cases?"

"You mean, someone is pointing Professor Fu from behind?" Xing Conglian asked mysteriously.

"Xing Conglian!" The old director was really angry, "Yesterday, someone reported to the superiors that Hongjing City Bureau used non-staff personnel to participate in the case, which seriously affected the fairness of the procedure and the purity of the police force!"

Xing Conglian frowned. It was really strange. He just handcuffed Lin Chen to the police station yesterday, and someone immediately reported it to his superiors?

"Don't you hire Professor Fu through formal procedures?" Xing Conglian continued to act like he didn't understand.

"Idiot, of course, it's not Fu Hao!" The old director was furious enough: "You can arrest anyone, but you want to arrest Lin Chen!"

'It really is Lin Chen.' Xing Cong thought and looked at the director, "Lin Chen, who is he?"

The old director looked at the serious eyes of his subordinates and realized that he had fallen into a trap.

"Young people shouldn't gossip too much!" The old director forced himself to calmly take a sip of tea.

"Is there someone who especially greeted our superiors because of Lin Chen?" When he spoke, he was also a little unsure, "I just arrested Lin Chen yesterday and superiors already know about it. it was because someone in our bureau recognized him, and then passed the information to the superiors, and the reason why he reacted so quickly must be because his name was on the blacklist..." Xing Conglian said, looking at his boss's face getting darker and darker, "Was he also a policeman before? if not the police, the former advisers of the police, right?"

After he finished speaking, he hoped that he'd be able to divulge some information from his boss' expression. But the old man didn't show anything on his face except for his unsightly expression.

"Are you eighty this year?" The old director finally finished his tea, he put down the cup and asked back.

"I'm still far from being eighty."

"So, don't gossip like an old lady!"

Xing Conglian finally didn't ask anything, he straightened his clothes and stood up: "So, what do you want me to do? Exclude Lin Chen from the case investigation, right?" Although this is a question, but in Xing Conglian's flat tone, it is more like a cold declarative sentence.

After he finished speaking, he turned around and left.

"Stop." The old chief suddenly raised his head, looked at Xing Conglian's back, and said, "Hey, did I just say something?"

Anyway, an old fritter like him will never reveal his true inner thoughts when encountering an accident, let alone revealing someone's background from his mouth.

Xing Conglian sat back in his seat, and the rain poured down outside the window.

The rain threads are very fine and dense, but they are also very urgent. When the wind blows, the handle of the umbrella sways to and fro, and even people can't stand firm.

He put his mind away and began to read the site survey report that had just been placed on his desk.

He can read every word on this report, but he couldn't understand what's written in it.

The neatly dressed male corpse in the hospital, the wounding case in the fruit store, the dead old man, the broken rings in the park...

All of these seem to be unrelated, but because of the White sand, they are closely linked together.

He couldn't help but think of the quiet dormitory manager, his peaceful eyes and extremely calm words. He wanted to stand up, rush into the rain, run in front of him, and ask, "What do you know?"

He thought like this, and then he stood up. He picked up the key, put on his jacket, and walked out of the police station. Just as he was about to step into the rain, he suddenly saw that in the wind and rain, there was a vast field, and someone was coming from afar.

The man was thin, he was holding a black umbrella, one side of the umbrella was a little collapsed, and the entire umbrella was swaying by the wind.

However, the hand holding the umbrella is very stable, the pace of walking was very steady, and even the rain falling on the umbrella surface made a steady sound.

Looking at the person coming in the rain, Xing Conglian suddenly wanted to smoke a cigarette.

Lin Chen stopped on his track, put away his umbrella, and shook the water off his body.

He was soaked all over, like his whole body was picked up from the water. There was no special expression on his face, no greetings or small talk, he raised his head slightly, and asked directly: "Do you want to solve the case?"

"Yes." Xing Conglian replied concisely.

"Do you believe me?" he asked again.

"Maybe."

"Are you afraid of retaliation?"

"I'm afraid." Xing Conglian answered honestly, remembering the warning from the director just now, he probably understood why Lin Chen asked this question. He thought his answer would disappoint Lin Chen, but he clearly saw a smile in Lin Chen's eyes. He also laughed and said, "But I'm even more afraid that I won't be able to solve the case and won't be able to get the bonus. After all, it's the season of crayfish..."

Lin Chen nodded, as if agreeing with his point of view, and he said: "So, for your bonus and Crayfish, please let me join."

In fact, Lin Chen's voice was not too loud, and in the heavy rain it was even more inaudible.

But at that moment, Xing Conglian was a little stunned.

In the short one minute when he made the decision to find Lin Chen's help and went out, he thought about how to say "please help" to Lin Chen without being abrupt, and he also thought about how Lin Chen would reject him.

But he never thought that Lin Chen would say to him: 'Please let me join.'

If he hadn't been in the director's office for five minutes in the morning, he would have felt that Lin Chen deliberately wanted to participate in the case.

But when Lin Chen asked the sentence "Are you afraid of retaliation?", he suddenly realised that Lin Chen knew very well how much pressure he would be under or how much pressure they would be under.

But he still held an umbrella, endured the rain, came here, and said "please let me join".

He took a puff of cigarette and asked, "Why? Aren't there many people who won't let you investigate the case?"

"Do you care?" Lin Chen smiled, "I don't care at all."

Xing Conglian has Russian ancestry. Such bloodlines are extremely strong, and this means that when he wants to do something, he will definitely love if someone wants to go against him.

It is very strange that, as peaceful and stable as Lin Chen, in his bones, he is actually such a person.

As Xing Conglian laughed, he was choked by the smoke and coughed again and again, but he was still laughing.

"Welcome to join." He held out his hand and threw away the still-burning cigarette.

..........

AdvertisementsREPORT THIS AD

Although he didn't care about complaints or warnings, Xing Conglian still considered the heart of an old man who suffered from heart disease all year round.

So instead of taking Lin Chen back to the police station, he took people to his home at No. 6 Yanjia Lane.

The house was peaceful, and the wind and rain were shut out.

At the same location, at a different time, Xing Conglian still felt a little guilty when he saw Lin Chen sitting on the wooden bed by the window.

So he took out a towel and made a cup of hot ginger tea.

Lin Chen didn't seem to care about the wet and cold rain, he took the towel and tea handed by Xing Conglian, and put these things aside.

"Actually, I came this time because I received a letter with white sand in it," he said, taking out the pink letter in the airtight bag from his pocket.

Xing Cong held the sealed bag and looked at the delicate wet white sand inside. He only felt that his scalp was numb.

Without gloves, he could only carefully spread the letter in the sealed bag: "Do you know who wrote this letter?"

Lin Chen didn't answer immediately.

Because he didn't have a deep impression of the person who wrote the letter. In his memory, it should be a very young and quiet girl. If it wasn't for registering the list of people who came in and out of the dormitory every day, he might not even know such a person existed, let alone her name.

He had noticed her peeking at himself many times, and he had also received the letters she had placed on his desk.

Sky blue, beige, pink, the words on the cover are very elegant, always the three words "To Lin Chen", but he has never opened it...

"The sender, whose name is Yu Yanqing, is a gardener who trims flowers and trees for our school."

"The gardener is so literate?" Xing Conglian scrutinized the letter. He read the eloquent verse in the letter many times.

"She's young, maybe 25-28, and should be well educated."

"Why did she write to you?"

"She wrote me a lot of letters. I thought she had a crush on me, so I never opened them." Lin Chen stated calmly, even when he mentioned the word crush, there is no blush or shyness at all. He appears to be very upright, even a person like Xing Conglian who likes to joke, can't make fun of the gardener's secret love affair with the dormitory manager.

"She has a crush on you, so the white sand in the letter can't be stolen from your room, right?"

"I don't know." Lin Chen was very frank.

"Then why did she put the white sand in the letter? Does this have anything to do with what happened recently?"

"I don't know." Lin Chen paused, then said, "But I suspect it's related."

Xing Conglian suddenly realized: "You suspect that this matter may have something to do with you, so you want to help us to solve the case, right?"

Lin Chen didn't answer the question, but said, "No matter what, you'll let me help you, right?"

Xing Conglian nodded helplessly, and then heard Lin Chen say to him, "If you trust me, please send someone to search for Yu Yanqing, because she is most likely dead."