Arc 1: A World of Sand, Chapter 17: Questioning

Around dinner time, citizens of Hongjing unexpectedly found that the promotional ad for the tourism festival that had been showing on TV for most of the month had changed to a new style.

Accompanied by the sound of the zither, the TV screen gradually brightened, and an emerald-colored river slowly came into view. Several small ducks were playing in it. They shook their heads as if they were in a hurry to return home.

"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven..."

A tender voice of a child overpowered the crisp sound of the zither. An old man was holding his grandson, who appeared at the stone arch bridge. The little boy's footsteps were unsteady as he counted each of his steps excitedly.

The camera moved to the other side of the small bridge, capturing a traveler with a backpack standing by the bridge. He froze for a moment, then read out the couplets on the stone pillars of the bridge. "In spring, the flowing water is green. In autumn, the sunset at the ferry is red."

The traveler's voice sounded almost ethereal, giving those who heard it a warm, pleasant feeling.

The traveler started to move away, and the camera followed his footprints to an open river that was surging.

The camera then zoomed across the river and finally landed on the words "Taiqian Bridge".

The soundtrack stopped abruptly, and the pretty face of a female anchor appeared.

"We interrupt this broadcast for an emergency announcement. A vicious murder occurred on the 10th of this month in the city. The suspect is Feng Peilin. Male. 37 years old. The police remind everyone that this person is extremely dangerous. If you see this person, please contact the police immediately."

Following the female anchor's solemn voice, a photo of Feng Peilin appeared at the top left of the screen. He had the corners of his mouth crook, as if mocking something.

This was obviously a trap Lin Chen had set up to catch Feng Peilin.

In this regard, Lin Chen's explanation was that any prison had a "psychological belonging point". Just like when people go shopping, they would subconsciously choose the most convenient place, so the suspect would commit crimes in places that could make them feel at ease or have special significance.

The crimes committed by Feng Peilin were all in an area within a 1.5-kilometer radius of the school he worked at as the center. The Taiqian Bridge happened to be in this area as well.

What was even better was that the river under the bridge was full of water, which represented the initial surge of life, which was related to the intention of the sand table.

To appease the suspect's obsession with the number seven, the short ad featured seven little ducks and a child counting to seven, which would elicit a sense of familiarity with Feng Peilin.

Finally, the Taiqian* Bridge was also seven strokes. In Feng Peilin's subconscious, he would think this place was very calming.

*Writing out the characters [Taiqian] (太千) is seven strokes.

If the tranquil short film could evoke Feng Peilin's fond memories, then the subsequent interruption was to let Feng Peilin know that the police were looking for him, which would force him to act faster.

Under the dual combination of unconscious memory and external pressure, he would definitely choose to go to the Taiqian Bridge.

Staring at Feng Peilin's pale yet handsome face, someone raised the remote control and turned off the TV.

The screen became dark. There was only a table lamp that still exuded warm light. In another place there was also a spot that was bright.

That was the reflection from the top of someone's head.