Arc 1: A World of Sand, Chapter 8: Power

When Fu Hao arrived, he saw that Lin Chen was sitting in the dormitory drinking tea. He was covered with a thin blanket, and his hair was still wet.

As soon as Professor Fu stepped into the cold room and saw the white walls and the wooden table. He couldn't help but ran to the side of the room and said to Lin Chen, "Senior brother, this is not the place you should stay."

Lin Chen glanced at him and said nothing.

"You can live with me!", he said cheerfully.

This time, the person watching him was replaced by captain Xing.

Although Fu Hao didn't quite understand why Xing Conglian looked at him, as an expert who had studied psychology for many years, he clearly felt impatience in that gaze.

Change it to a more simple and understandable sentence: What are you talking about?!

Fu Hao thought that Xing Conglian blamed him for disturbing Lin Chen's thinking, so he shut up immediately and sat down on the cold ground in front of Lin Chen obediently.

Lin Chen was silent. Fu Hao thought for a long time, then speak hesitantly.

"Maybe, it's not a serial killer at all?"

Lin Chen nodded: "There is no evidence that these people were murdered."

He used his words carefully, and Xing Conglian, who was sitting beside him, suddenly said, "This morning, the forensic department issued a report that the rings in the park were artificially damaged."

Fu Hao responded to Xing Conglian with a look of 'Why didn't you say it earlier', while the police captain said innocently, "I don't the get time to talk about it at all."

"Murder and non-murder cases are mixed, this is more complicated than a simple serial murder case, you know that?" Professor Fu said angrily, "Has white sand been detected near the sand in the park? If the white sand appeared, these cases can be put together for a joint investigation."

"Actually, it's not necessary." Lin Chen suddenly spoke up, interrupting the argument between the two.

"What's not necessary?"

"There's no need to go to such great lengths to find small concepts in big concepts."

"You mean sand?"

Lin Chen nodded: "This is the only clue that can connect all the cases, isn't it? Let's assume that there is such a connection, then, the problem has arisen..." Lin Chen lowered his head and asked, "Why is it sand?"

Lin Chen asked, why is it sand?

Fu Hao thought: if I fucking knew, I would have solved the case long ago.

But he can't swear in front of Lin Chen, so he could only try to think about some possible answers: "Sand, is it have a special meaning?"

"Well." Lin Chen nodded and encouraged him to continue.

"In Buddhism, there are words like 'Sand of the Ganga river', or 'one sand, one world, one leaf and one bodhi'. But the sand used by the criminal is very special, It is the sand in the sand table game, so ..."

"So, it is difficult for us to analyse, what do these sands represent?" Lin Chen said as if seeing through what Fu Hao was thinking.

"Then, let's just talk about the sand table therapy. The teacher didn't teach it to us before. Sand table therapy is to let a person place different characters freely on the sand to reflect his subconscious mental state... Could it be that the murderer is playing a game?" Fu Hao asked.