Arc 1: A World of Sand, Chapter 13: Problem

From easy to difficult, repeat the practice...

This was the learning method that humans had mastered over nearly 10,000 years of evolution, so learning to overcome was also learning.

"You mean, Yu Yanqing did all this to overcome her fear of death?"

Fu Hao came early with breakfast. Before he had time to put down the warm milk and bread, he heard the important dramatization from Xing Conglian.

"Shixiong, do you have any new clues?"

"Have you heard of systematic desensitization?" Captain Xing sat on the table and asked smugly.

Fu Hao hurriedly put down the plastic bag and ignored him. Instead, he leaned towards Lin Chen and asked, "Systematic desensitization?"

Despite being completely ignored, Xing Conglian didn't get angry. Instead, he rushed to explain to Fu Hao, "Yes, Yu Yanqing should be using systematic desensitization to ease her fear of death..."

"You, shut up." Fu Hao glared at Xing Conglian, then asked Lin Chen, "Shixiong, what's going on?"

"The intent in these cases is closely related to death. They show a gradually magnifying sense of fear. This was the conclusion we had drawn before." Lin Chen coughed lightly. His tone wasn't as easy-going as Xing Conglian's. "But we always lacked a clue that connected everything. It was little fatty that gave us this important hint."

Fu Hao saw Lin Chen glance at the child sitting on the bench playing with his fingers before saying, "We're deducing that Yu Yanqing committed these crimes as part of systematic desensitization to allow herself to overcome her fear of death. The entire process should be divided into four steps. First, she approached a corpse, fantasized about death, and then slowly did relaxation training to adapt to the distance from the corpse. That's why there were traces of someone sleeping under the bed of the hospital morgue and why the corpse was dressed up, as a way to show respect to the dead."

Lin Chen paused, as if thinking. "Then, it was to watch a brutal murder scene and observe the reactions of others to death. This was followed by killing a person with your own hands, watching him die, and adapting to the process of life fading. This may be the reason why the young man was killed while exercising in the park."

Fu Hao started feeling a chill as he listened. His lips quivered slightly as he asked softly, "In the end, was it suicide?"

"It was."

Fu Hao took a deep inhale and felt his teeth chatter and a chill on his cheeks.

"Then, is this case closed?" he asked tremblingly.

Yu Yanqing killed someone, left a suicide note, and committed suicide. Everything was laid out perfectly.

Lin Chen sat on the cold, hard wooden bench and ran his finger along the brim of the cup while tapping it subconsciously, as if he didn't hear Fu Hao's question.

"It seems to be the case." Xing Conglian rubbed his fluffy beard and paused, then said, "But I feel that something is off."

It was like a terrifying fog. They had gone to great lengths to walk through it, and in the end, touched a high wall—a towering, lofty, wall.

Lin Chen wanted to say the same thing, but he also felt that something was missing.

"I want to take a look at Yu Yanqing's profile again." Lin Chen stopped tapping on the cup.

About half an hour later, a young, chattering technician stood at the door holding a laptop. He wore a black cap that had water dripping from its brim, and his eyes were sparkling. When he saw Xing Conglian, his tone was quite plaintive. "Oh Typhoon God, it wasn't easy to find a ride!"