Arc 1: A World of Sand, Chapter 16: Invitation

Xing Conglian thought, 'Three years.'

For three years, Feng Peilin watched Lin Chen.

Whether rain or shine, Feng Peilin always sat quietly in front of this window, looking at the young man who was even quieter than him and worked in the dorms opposite here.

He probably watched Lin Chen reading and writing or Lin Chen talking with children.

Xing Conglian couldn't help but shiver at the thought of this.

He returned to the police station with the book and the letter, with a handful of sand in hand.

The raw pleasantries were over, and the atmosphere was cold and collected.

Lin Chen slept lightly in a chair, covered by a police uniform.

The police uniform had silver stars sparkling on it. Inspector Huang was sitting next to him in just a white shirt. His legs were crossed as he flipped through the documents in his hand while holding a glass of warm water in his other hand.

Xing Conglian was stunned. There were so many chairs in the room, yet Huang Ze chose to sit next to Lin Chen.

Inspector Huang sat so naturally that it was as if he deserved to sit there.

Xing Conglian became unhappy.

Fu Hao had just walked around from behind Xing Conglian. When he saw the situation in the office, he hurriedly pulled the person that was frozen at the door into the room.

Lin Chen had just opened his eyes.

Seeing them return, he stood up and smoothly hung the clothes that covered him on the armrest and didn't look at Huang Ze.

"I have a fever and need some antipyretics."

Lin Chen's tone was weak, but his request was blunt. His desire to leave the police station was all too obvious and unconcealed.

Huang Ze chuckled and put down the notebook.

Just when Xing Conglian thought Huang Ze was going to say something like, "Personal matters are forbidden during official business hours", he instead heard, "Remember to buy aspirin. He's allergic to most antibiotics."

This made Xing Conglian even more angry.

......

Perhaps it was because the typhoon was about to make a landfall and the city was shrouded in the eye of the storm, but the rain had stopped.

Lin Chen's footsteps were weak, but he still insisted on walking. Xing Conglian couldn't convince him, so he had to walk by his side, while Fu Hao walked at the end feeling guilty.

The sound of their footsteps fell on the bluestone slab that was still wet from rain, kicking and stamping, sticky and greasy.

Although the questions in Xing Conglian's heart were rolling up into a snowball, such as what was the relationship between Huang Ze and Lin Chen, and why did Huang Ze's attitude towards him made a 180-degree turn, Xing Conglian didn't ask about this kind of idle gossip. He took out the evidence bag from his arms and handed it to Lin Chen. "Feng Peilin left you a book and a letter with a handful of sand. What's the relationship between you and him?"

Lin Chen was a little taken aback.

But for some reason, the astonishment wasn't because Feng Peilin left him something, but because Xing Conglian didn't ask him any questions related to Huang Ze.

In this world, there were too many people who loved to inquire about the privacy of others, and few could hold back their curiosity that was bubbling inside their hearts.