Chapter 2

There comes a time in everyone's life where you want to run away and not face what is happening right in front of you.

You want to run away from the pain.

Run away from the heartache.

All in a blind bit of effort to save yourself from suffering for that little bit longer.

Jessica had never felt that feeling so strongly as she had that day.

The day her life as she knew it came tumbling down around her in a million pieces.

Her life, as of yet, was like a glass vase, so tall and strong. Her whole life—everything she had ever known, every thought she had possessed, every good and bad decision she had made—had all created this vase that was Jessica's life. It was colourful and bright, thick and sturdy. And all it took was two words to shatter it.

Intracranial Aneurysm.

When she heard those words, she didn't know fully what they meant. Adam was a doctor, but that didn't mean he taught her everything. In fact, they scarcely talked about his job. He was so exhausted from his days that the last thing he wanted was to teach his wife what words like "intracranial aneurysm" meant, but how she wished now she could go back and ask him.

She had no idea that her mind would now always think about these words for the rest of her life.

"But what has this got to do with Adam?" She asked the doctor she was speaking to. He was a young man with soft features and a kind smile. He looked vaguely familiar. She had been to a few work events, so she knew some of their faces, but his name escaped her mind.

The man looked between her and Jake, his eyes lingering on Jake for longer than she liked.

She glanced at him.

He looked pale, like all the life had been drained from his face. Jake was always so carefree around her and Adam. They always laughed and joked together; their lives were like a big ball of fun, like all the games they played together. He was shy and quiet around new people, but not her. She had never seen him this way. His heart was in his eyes, and she could see clearly how broken it was.

"Jake?" She managed to crock out, her throat suddenly feeling like it had swollen shut. She resisted the urge to cough.

His watery eyes flittered down to look at her, and Jess knew just by his gaze that something was wrong.

"It's also commonly known as a brain aneurysm." The doctor added, as if that would help. She glanced back at the doctor, who was speaking. "I'm so sorry, Jess; there was nothing we could do. There is no way to know..."He paused in thought. "Was he feeling unwell the last few days or weeks—headaches, nausea, that sort of thing?"

She shook her head sharply. "No, what are you talking about? He is fine. He is perfectly healthy. Where is he? Is this some kind of joke? Because if it is, it's not fucking funny."

"No, Jess, of course this isn't a joke..."

"Adam!" Jessica shouted over him, turning her attention away from him, and down the hallway she had seen him walk down so many times. If she shut her eyes now, she could picture him walking away from her so clearly in her mind. Blue or white shirt tucked into dark grey trousers, his head hanging low, reading over notes, his shoulders broad and sturdy.

Of course, this was a joke; it had to be. Adam was only 22; he will turn 23 in a few weeks! There was no way this was happening. He was healthy—a perfectly happy, healthy 22-year-old man with his whole life ahead of him. With his whole life ahead with her.

"Adam!" She shouted again, not sure if she would laugh, scream, or cry if he just bounced around the corner.

"Jess..." Jake said softly, taking hold of her shoulders and turning her to look at him. "He's not joking, Jess... Adam,"