Chapter 13

Jake came out of the bathroom, now sporting a black woolly jumper. On the front of it, snow fell, with a reindeer dancing against a large, oversized candy cane. At the bottom were the words 'pole dancer' in big, bold letters.

Jess looked him up and down. "Really? Out of all the Christmas jumpers to wear, why did you choose that one?"

Jake laughed, pulling his jumper taught so he could see it. "What? It's funny."

She shook her head and bent over to zip up her boots. "Your sense of humour is shocking."

He sat at the edge of her bed, his legs stretching out in front of him. "You love it, really. I can see the amusement in your eyes." He remarked, his eyes narrowing on her.

Her lips twitched, and she quickly turned away so he wouldn't see. She made her way back to the mirror and then put on some dangly Christmas tree earrings, and he cracked up.

"You've gone on about what I'm wearing, yet you put those in."

She turned to him, hands on hips. "They're adorable. The kids will love them."

She shook her head, which made the trees light up. He laughed even harder. "We all know they're for you, not the kids."

She grinned, her beautiful pearly-white teeth beaming at him.

"Dinner is ready!" Her mother shouted from down the stairs.

"Finally! I'm starving!" Jess groaned and ran forward, taking his hand as she led the way down the stairs, past the kitchen, and into the dining room. It was a larger room, the addition more modern than the rest of the house, with a glass ceiling roof, showing the heavy white clouds looming over them outside.

The room was beautifully decorated, with a large green tree in the corner that had white lights over it. A shining silver star sitting prettily on top. Jake marvelled at it; he'd love to have a home as grand as this one day.

But for now, until he can afford the deposit, he'll share his small apartment with his antisocial flatmate, who did not celebrate Christmas.

Jessica sat down at the large table, and he sat next to her. Instantly, he felt like he was part of the family.

They all pulled their crackers, telling the bad jokes and facts that were inside. Then they put on their paper Christmas hats, which always ripped on his big head. The food Maria had prepared was divine. They all had a prawn cocktail starter, which was very nice, even though he wasn't too fond of fish.

Then, for the main course, they had some mouth-watering roasted turkey with mixed vegetables and crispy yet fluffy roast potatoes. The Yorkshire puddings were swimming in gravy, which he was sure was some of the best gravy he had ever tasted.

Even though the food was to die for, what he loved the most was the company. Jessica's family was so welcoming and friendly that he felt like part of the group, like he was one of them. They asked questions about his life and about his work, and they all genuinely listened with keen interest to the replies he was giving.

When he was sure he couldn't eat another bite, Jessica ran off. She came back with a huge Christmas cake, which everyone mmm'd happily about before they dug in. Then she gave Jake a little cake of his own.

He told her she was crazy to go through all that effort for him, but she waved him off. Instead of eating her cake slice, she watched him with wide eyes as he dug in. It was a black forest gateau, and Jake's eyes rolled back in his head at the taste. Flavours of sour cherries and cream explode on his tongue like fireworks.

"Jess, you've outdone yourself." He told her, eagerly shoving another mouthful in.

"Yeah?"

He nodded quickly and said, "You should add this to the menu in the bakery."