Chapter 30

Jake sat backstage, anxiously chewing his thumb nail.

What was he doing?

His mind was racing with bad thoughts. You're not good enough for this. You will fail. Everyone will laugh at you.

But he took a deep breath, those voices hushing instantly as his chest rose and fell rhythmically. Calming his mind.

Mike, sensing his nervousness, came and sat next to him on the plush sofa, which rippled like a wave as he fell onto the leather couch.

"Don't be nervous, man, honestly. The song is fantastic, and you are extremely talented. I'm just annoyed that you never showed us this side of you before." He told him, his voice stern and serious.

Jake felt like he was in some sort of dream. How had this suddenly become his life and reality? Sitting backstage with Noise, waiting to be called onstage to perform his very own song? It was something people could only dream about. And here he was, getting the chance to live it.

How had this happened?

"I haven't played for a long time. After my friend died, I just sort of stopped. I don't know why." He strummed the guitar nervously, the thoughts of Adam flooding his mind. What would he say to him now if he were here?

Mike nodded, his face thoughtful. "I understand that when you're grieving, you don't want to feel happiness. And music brought you joy. It's natural to try and push that away."

Jake shrugged, never really thinking too deeply about it. He strummed his guitar again, checking that it was in tune. For the millionth time.

"So, Shinedown will play their set. Then they will introduce you. I know you only have one song, so how do you feel about playing a couple of songs with us? I know you know every note; you must have heard them more than we have." He joked, but Jake thought there might be some truth to his words.

"Really? You want me to play with you?" Jake asked, perplexed.

Mike just gave him a look.

"Of course, I'd love to." Jake beamed, shocked again that this was happening.

Was this really happening? It felt like some sort of dream.

Never did he imagine he would be lucky enough to play to a sold-out theatre, never mind alongside one of his favourite bands.

"Ten minute call for Jake!" A woman's voice called through the speakers, and Jake's heart thumped in his throat.

"Go make your way to the stage," Mike told him, a smile on his face, and Jake stood up on wobbly legs. As he opened the door, Mike called his attention back. "If she doesn't come back to you after hearing that song, then she's a fool."

***

Uncle Joe beeped his horn, slamming on the breaks of the car as another driver pulled out, cutting him off again. This wasn't the first time this had happened on the drive to the theatre. Jess clung to her seat belt. The city was roaring, with cars and people everywhere as they all made their way to see Noise.

"Fucking twat!" Joe shouted, throwing his head out the window and flipping the drive off.

Jessica's mother slapped his arm and said, "Joe! You can't shout things like that at people; what if they get out and attack us? We're in the city now; people get stabbed in places like this."

He gave an eye roll, peaking in the mirror to look at Jess. "He was a twat, wasn't he?"

She couldn't help but chuckle. "Definitely a big twat." She agreed, which earned a huff from her mother.