Chapter 12

Jake pulled up in front of Jessica's mother's house, his tyres crunching on the gravel road.

There was snow on the ground; a surprise flurry started falling last night, and now a light dusting covers the place in a soft white blanket.

The house was large, but it had a cottage-style feel to it. You can see it has had improvements and extensions added. They looked odd and out of place compared to the main, bulky building. The front door opened, and a woman who looked so eerily like Jess came running out.

She had brown hair that was clipped high on her head in a bun, and her eyes were the same shade of green as Jessica's. Jake had seen her once at the funeral, but still, the resemblance was shocking.

Jessica opened the car door and ran to her mother; they met in a tight hug.

Jake's lips turned upward; it was warming to witness such love.

He got out of the car and grabbed their bags, trying to make himself useful as nervousness started tickling his belly.

"You look thin; have you been eating?" Her mother fretted, patting her daughter's arms as she pulled back from the embrace.

"Yes, mam." She groaned but smiled as she said it.

"Hmm..." She examined her quizzically.

"Mam, this is Jake." Jessica introduced him, and they both turned to face him as he walked to them. He slung the bags over his shoulder as he shook her hand.

"Yes, yes! I met him briefly before." Jake and Jessica's eyes met briefly, both remembering the incident at the funeral. "Thank you for looking after my baby; she's told me you've been a great friend to her."

"No need to thank me," Jake said shyly.

"Come on inside, the pair of you! I've got to check the turkey before Auntie Jean burns it."

"It wouldn't be Christmas without her burned cooking." Jess laughed and took her bag from Jake.

Inside, in the warmth, the house was in a riot. Kids ran around screaming, adults were in mid-conversation, and laughter filled the air. Christmas music was playing in the background.

It felt so homely.

Jake could picture Jess growing up here; it looked like the perfect place for a child to get up to many adventures with the big house and land that stretched on for miles. How many tree swings did she make? How many bear tea parties did she throw in the woods? Jake wanted to know it all.

"Merry Christmas, everyone!" Jess shouted as she entered the room.

The kids ran at her while they screeched, like a high-pitched battle cry. They knocked her back a few steps as they all swarmed her, enveloping her in a big hug. She laughed and patted their heads. "Auntie Jess!" They all shouted in unison.

She turned to Jake and said, "I'm known as Auntie here. No cousins allowed."

He nodded, amusement shining in his eyes as she struggled against them.

"Who's this?" One of the little girls asked. She had brown hair and a small face with a pinched nose.

"This is Jake, my friend." Jess introduced.

"Uncle Jake." She declared as she hugged him.

"No, no... Not Uncle Jake, just Jake." She said, giving Jake an apologetic half smile.

"Uncle Jake." She said it more firmly, glancing up at his face from where she clung to his leg.

"You can call me whatever you want." He said as he kneeled down to her level.