Chapter 3

Jessica's phone lit up again, with Jake's name in bold black lettering against the white background as it vibrated on her coffee table.

Once it ended, it read: 26 missed calls, Jake.

She sighed and slunk into her sofa further, wrapping the soft woollen blanket tighter around her body, hoping it would wrap her up so tightly that the world would just cease to exist.

It had been a few days since the funeral, but how many exactly? She wasn't entirely sure. The days and nights blurred together, swimming with her tears and pain. There was a persistent knot in her chest. She has come to learn that the knot feeling must be her heart breaking, because it won't go away.

Reaching over, she grabbed her phone before sinking back into the warmth of her blanket.

Unlocking the screen, she noticed that, along with the 26 missed calls, there were also 10 text messages and 3 voice mails.

Who did he think he was? How dare he continuously call and text her like nothing had happened, like he didn't try and get a leg over at his supposed best friend's funeral. He had no right to ask for forgiveness—no right at all. And Jess sure as hell wasn't ready to give it to him. She wasn't sure if she would ever be.

With a groan, she deleted all the messages at once, before even reading them.

Then she instantly regretted it.

Jake was her friend too, not just Adams. Maybe she was being too harsh. People cope and grieve in peculiar ways. She didn't understand it. Sex was the last thing on her mind, but she could understand the appeal of the distraction it would bring.

She sat up straight, tucking her feet up under her as she called her voicemail.

"Jess," Her breath caught when she heard his voice. He didn't sound like his usual self. He sounded hollow and breathy, like he was in pain. "Please, just pick up the phone. Or just send me a text. Even if it's to say to stop calling you or to leave you alone, even if you tell me you never want to speak to me again, that's fine; I don't care what you say. I just need to know you're okay. I need to know you're alright. I know you probably can never forgive me; I know that I'm a dick. But I'm just so worried about you. No one has heard from you, not your family or Adams family. Just..." His voice broke, and she felt it in her throat. After he cleared his throat, he continued more smoothly, "Just please call someone." Then he hung up.

Jess stared at her phone, her hands slightly trembling. She hadn't eaten yet today; she hadn't really eaten for a few days, just the odd bite here and there. Maybe that explains the shaking. It wasn't caused by his sorrowful and heart-wrenching voice, definitely not. Eventually, the voicemail continued to the other message.

"Jessica, It's mum. I know you're hurting; I know you're in pain. But please don't cut me out. Don't cut any of us out. Jake has done nothing but call me; he is so worried about you. I don't know what has happened between you both, but now is not the time to be alone. I love you, and if you don't call us back, I will come over. You are so strong; you will get through this."

Jess made a mental note to at least text her mother that she was alive. She hadn't meant to worry her or anyone else. The days seemed to roll into one another, and time fell away from her.

After deleting the message, she waited for the next one.

There was nothing but silence for a few seconds, and then a sad sigh came through before the caller hung up.

She knew immediately that it was Jake.

After quickly calling her mother, who was relieved to hear she was alive, she wrote a text to Jake.