Chapter 24

A few hours later, they sit on a rickety boat floating on a large lake. The water below them was dark, murky, and completely terrifying.

It was triggering Jessica's thalassiathopia, and she had to take a long, deep breath to calm herself as Jake rowed them out.

They were in the middle of nowhere, over an hour's drive by car from the B&B. Dai had told them how to get here; he said it was another rare beauty of Wales that had to be witnessed before they left to go home.

Dai was right. It was breath-taking. Tall pine trees surround the large lake, effectively cutting this small pocket of beauty off from the rest of the world.

But the lake was petrifying. It's water dark, lonely, reminding her vividly of death. She could picture a ghastly creature below, with a long, slithering body, sharp fangs for teeth, and glowing red eyes, as it lurked below them, ready to eat her.

It was different from the pool at the waterfall. There, she could make out the bottom, and she knew no scary beast lurked in its depths. Here, the lake was deep-the deepest in Wales, or so Dai had so kindly told them before they left-and she began to sweat at the thought.

What was down there?

Did anyone truly know?

Jake, knowing how scared she was of open water like this, had suggested that they stay at the shore and fish from there instead. But she refused; she wanted to conquer her fears. Adam would have done it, no matter how scared he was.

She gripped the edge of the boat tightly, looking over the edge at the black water beneath them. It seemed to swirl, trapping her in a trace as she spun and spun down deep in to the black depths.

Her stomach dropped; if she had been standing, she would have collapsed.

She pulled away, feeling lightheaded. Instead, she gripped the fishing pole, which had sat idle for the better part of an hour now.

Jake watched her with amused eyes.

"You're bored." He stated.

She scoffed, "I'm not."

"Yes, you are." He argued, shifting his weight to inspect the poles, causing the boat to sway. Jess gasped and gripped the edges, afraid that the boat would topple over and plunge her into the dark depths.

"No," she replied once the rocking had stopped, "I'm just terrified that this shitty boat will flip and we will fall into the water, where a large lake monster will swallow me whole."

Jake smirked, glancing over the edge quizzically before glancing back at her. "No Nessie's lurking in these waters, Jess. Maybe some catfish, but that's it."

She furrowed her brows at him and said, "But how do you know? For sure?"

He gave a soft chuckle and said, "Well, I can't guarantee it. But if there are any monsters, I'll protect you." He straightened up, spreading his broad shoulders to sit in a stronger-looking stance.

She scoffs and resists rolling her eyes, saying, "And how do you propose you'll do that?"

He shrugs. "I'll punch him."

"You'll punch a lake monster? That will protect me, will it?"

He taps her nose, "Right in the schnozzle. That should deter him from eating you."

"You're such a food fool." She looks away from him, holding her head high. But ultimately, she can't resist looking at him as her eyes find that teasing smirk of his. She laughs.

For a brief moment, his handsome face made her forget her fears; her heart skipped a beat in her chest.

The memory of his naughty, wandering hands on her body made her face flush.