Part 18

"Tony!" Pepper barged into the meeting room, making everybody look up at her

"Pepper?" Tony asked, looking at the panicked expression on Pepper's face."What happened?"

"It-" Pepper took a moment to breathe."It's about Y/N."

Tony's heart dropped to his stomach. He carefully looked at Pepper, afraid of what she was going to say next."What about her?"

"She was in a car accident." Tony felt his whole world stop. His eyes only widened from the shock, while Pepper urged him to get up.

"Happy is waiting for you to take you to the hospital. Nat is already there."Pepper said once they were out of the meeting room. She pat his back and squeezed his arm, recognizing the look on his face. He was blaming himself. "I'm so sorry, Tony."

"How-" Tony cleared his throat, tugging at the collar that now felt like it was suffocating him. "How is she? What happened?"

"I don't know, she's still in surgery."Pepper told him as she walked after him to the elevator. "A car hit into hers when she was waiting at the red light." She explained.

Just a few minutes later, Tony was making his way into the hospital in rush, his eyes finding Natasha standing on the end of the hall, in front of the operating room. "How is she?" Tony asked as soon as she saw him as well.

Natasha shook her head. "I don't know."

Tony froze in place. He didn't know what to do. Thousand thoughts were just appearing after one another in his head and not a single one of them was good. He raised his hand to rub it over his face, then he started to pull on his hair. "I... How could this happen, Natasha?" He asked. "I just..."He tugged at his collar again."I gave her my car... and I... "

Natasha's eyes widened and she quickly approached Tony, placing her hand on his shoulder to calm him down. "Tony. Slow down. You're in shock. She'll be okay. "

"She will?" Tony asked as she led him over to sit down on one of the chairs.

"Yes, she will."Natasha nodded. "Just sit down. I'll get you some water."

Natasha returned a few moments later, handing Tony a cup filled with water. He only stared down at the cup that was offered to him, then looked at Natasha. "We need to find who did this." He suddenly said.

"You think someone did this on purpose?"She asked.

Tony was about to answer when the doors opened and a doctor walked out. Tony gulped and stood up. His hands shook from fear and anger.

"Y/N Y/L/N?" The doctor asked and Natasha and Tony approached him.

"We're with her." Natasha said.

"Miss Y/N survived the surgery." The man said and Tony breathed out in relief. "She was brought here with multiple broken ribs and internal bleeding. We succeeded at stopping the internal bleeding and we did save her organs, but my biggest concern is the brain swelling Miss Y/N got from the accident." He said, and Tony's hand clenched into a fist. "She's still in a critical condition. We're moving her into a room where she'll be kept under observation and receive medication she needs."

Tony gulped. "Can we see her?"

The doctor nodded. "A nurse will come to get you when Miss Y/N is settled into a new room."

"Okay." Natasha said. "Thank you, doctor."

The man nodded before he walked away.

"This is all my fault." Tony said. "Why did I have to give her those keys?"

"I told you it's not your fault. How could you have known this would happen?"Natasha asked.

"This happened because of me. " Tony said. "Someone did this to her because of me. I should... "

"Don't you dare finish that sentence."Natasha threatened. "Y/N has feelings for you, and I know you have feelings for her as well."

Tony looked away.

"She needs you right now. You should be her support, not leave her alone. Did you hear me?"

He nodded.

They spent the next few minutes in silence, until a nurse approached them. "You can now see Miss Y/L/N."They both got up, but the nurse stopped them from going any further."Only one of you can be present in the room with her."

Natasha looked at Tony. "You can go first."

Tony nodded. "Okay." He followed the girl into the room where you were.