Forty Eight

You sat on the beach, your limbs felt loose the party in full swing and you'd already had several drinks. You laughed watching Hobi spin his mother across the sand dancing to a popular song blaring from a speaker on a beach chair.

Ji-woo stood in the circle of her husband's arms, baby monitor in one hand, a drink in the other. They seemed to be dancing to a completely different song than the sharp bouncy beats of the one playing.

Everyone was having a good time, drinking but no one was sloppy, no one acted badly. You let your feet dig into the cooled sand and leaned back onto your elbows, enjoying the breeze and company.

"Can I sit?" You looked up and Hwan was standing beside you, Mi Suk had joined her parents, loud laughter making its way toward you.

"Sure." You smiled and patted the sand at your side.

"How were the jungle animals?" You said conversationally reaching for a safe topic.

"How was having the house alone with Hoseok? That's more interesting than some monkeys." She wasn't as worried about keeping things casual, her smirk cutting through your charade.

"Don't worry no one can hear, that music is pretty loud." She laughed nudging you with her shoulder before joining your posture leaned back.

"We were very well behaved, just spent the time on the beach." You were telling the truth, you'd stayed in the lounger talking, making plans to move in until you both got too hot, then spent more time swimming.

Things with Hobi felt easy, the connection between you sparking conversation. He'd asked you about your music, you knew he wanted you to be serious about it, but you were less sure. When he felt resistance he stopped pushing and changed the subject. For hours you'd talked about everything from favorite foods to playing sports, to your favorite BTS YouTube reaction videos.

You'd both felt the disappointment when you realized his family was returning and you had to go back to acting like strangers. You understood his concern, he served to lose a lot more than you if he announced you as his girlfriend and things didn't work out.

"He looks at you like he'd throw himself in front of you if there were danger." Hwan laughed rattling the ice in her glass, her eyes were sharp taking in your reaction.

Hobi had turned and looked your way, you'd not noticed the same intensity she claimed to see. It was a quick glance then he did a break dance spin across the hard packed sand at the waters edge his mother clapping.

"It's not serious. Just a fling with the nanny." You rolled your eyes and drained your own glass that had been propped next to you.

"No, I know that look because Mi Suk used to look at me like that." It was her turn to roll her eyes and you felt some of the sadness that was below the surface of her facade.

"It must be hard hiding your relationship." The words felt empty, you knew they wouldn't comfort her.

"You're going to know a lot about that if you keep this up. It takes a toll on your love. All the exciting newness of sneaking around becomes tiresome and then you feel empty about it eventually." Hwan nodded her head toward Hobi and you blushed, the dark of the late evening covering it.

"It's not the same. If we told people they'd eventually accept it, I know your fear is they won't for the two of you." You dropped an arm around her shoulder and squeezed her against your side.

"Army might never forgive you." Her laugh held mirth and she stood and like a curtain closing tugged a smile onto her face and danced her way toward Mi Suk and her parents.

~

"Do you think Army will ever be okay with you having a girlfriend?" You sat on the couch in his room, Hobi laid across the bed on his back.