Chapter 16 - the engagement party (Part 1)

A/N: Unfortunately, I couldn't finish the chapter, so I thought I'd leave you on a cliff hanger <3 Update coming tomorrow:)

Completely exhausted, I let myself fall onto the pitch after practice. Neither Jonatan nor the temperature had mercy with us today, with the thermometer climbing up to 32 degrees Celsius in the late afternoon.

"It's way too hot" I complained to Lucy, who had sat down next to me.

"I know" the English defender panted. "I've been here for two years now, and I still haven't gotten used to it."

"Are you ready for tonight?" I curiously asked, not sure if Lucy was aware that Keira had already told me about their engagement.

"I guess so" Lucy shrugged nervously. "Do you know how to get to our apartment?"

After getting up, I nodded and held my hand out to Lucy to help her up. "Mapi offered to take me."

The dark-haired athlete threw me a curious look as she reached for my hand and got up. "What's going on there?"

"Why does everyone keep asking me that?" I sighed, hiding my face in my hands so Lucy couldn't see my blushed cheeks.

Defensively, Lucy held up her hands. "Okay, okay, I won't ask again."

"Is it okay if we come straight after practice?" I asked, changing the topic.

"Yes, that's no problem at all. The Arsenal girls arrived this morning, although they might still be in the city."

I opened the door to the changing room and quickly headed to my locker. After taking a cold shower, I threw a glance on my phone to check my messages.

[15/09/2024 19:34:46] antonia.vargas24: are you free tomorrow?

I quickly went through my schedule in my head; I had two practices tomorrow, one in the early morning and one after lunch, but afterwards all I needed to do was pack my suitcase for the international break.

[15/09/2024 20:21:03] emiliacortes20: yes:) wanna grab dinner?

I then opened WhatsApp and my jaw dropped when I saw the message I had received on there.

[15/09/2024 19:59:54] Klara <3: Ich freue mich auf dich :) ("Can't wait to see you.")

So she couldn't wait to see me, yet she never replied to my messages and hung out with the girl who destroyed my life. Did she not realize how little sense that made? I decided not to reply as I had already made up my mind yesterday that I would confront her at camp. She could wait two more days.

"Emi, are you ready to leave?" Mapi yelled through the whole changing room. Emi. She'd never called me like that before, leaving me wondering what happened to princesa.

I quickly made my way to her. "Yes, María León, I'm ready."

"Call me like that one more time and you can walk to Lucy and Keira's home" She threatened me with a smirk.

Feeling like annoying her a little extra today, I stood on my tiptoes and whispered in her ear, my lips slightly touching her warm skin. "Fine, let's go, guapa."

I left the blonde defender standing speechless in the changing room as I headed outside.

"Are you coming or not, María León?"

"That's it, you're walking" Mapi stated laughingly, catching up to me and putting her arm around me.

"No, I'm sorry, I promise I'll find a new nickname for you" I begged her. "What about Mrs. neck tattoo?"