Chapter 31 - apologies

German national team november 2024

Goal keepers:
30 - Ann-Katrin Berger
1 - Merle Frohms
12 - Mala Grohs

Defenders:
23 - Sara Doorsoun
15 - Guilia Gwinn
3 - Kathrin Hendrich
4 - Sophia Kleinherne
8 - Maximiliane Rall
17 - Felicitas Rauch
2 - Carolin Simon

Midfielders / Forwards:
22 - Jule Brand
19 - Klara Bühl
20 - Emilia Cortes
13 - Sara Däbritz
16 - Linda Dallmann
10 - Laura Freigang
9 - Svenja Huth
14 - Lena Lattwein
8 - Sydney Lohmann
21 - Lina Magull
6 - Lena Oberdorf
11 - Alexandra Popp
7 - Lea Schüller
18 - Tabea Waßmuth

As the first rays of sunlight shone through the window of the hotel room, I slowly awoke, still firmly holding my phone in my hand. It took me a minute or two to realize where I was and more importantly what had happened last night. Even though the phone call with Alexia didn't last too long as I had fallen asleep during our conversation, telling her everything took some serious weight off my shoulders. Not only did she promised to talk to Jonatan about Laura's potential loan, but also wants to investigate about the picture situation. Just like Laura she had already heard about the rumors that Mapi and I were spotted kissing by Ingrid, however she was told by Patri who had learned about it from Frido. Who told Frido definitively wasn't a secret, leaving me wondering if it had been Ingrid who was responsible for the picture as she too had been one of the last ones to leave that day.

I cautiously tilted my head to the left and spotted blonde hair sticking out from under the sheets, the clothes and towel now laying on the floor.
Sighing, I quietly got up and made my way to the bathroom to get ready before the sleeping dragon would wake up.

As I was brushing my teeth and scrolling through TikTok, I suddenly realized that I never texted Mapi that I had arrived safely. Hastily, I opened WhatsApp to stumble across some unread messages.

[6.11.2024, 16:49:11] Mapi <3: Miss you already, princesa
[6.11.2024, 22:17:57] Mapi <3: have you arrived yet?
[6.11.2024, 23:51:34] Mapi <3: I just arrived.
[7.11.2024, 07:09:52] Mapi <3: ?

[7.11.2024, 07:23:25] hi baby, I'm sorry for not texting back earlier!! I was so tired :( Enjoy your first day <3

[7.11.2024, 07:24:28] Mapi <3: Okay
[7.11.2024, 07:25:02] Mapi <3: You too, princesa<3

Still feeling guilty about having forgotten to reply to Mapi, I put on my DFB clothes and made my way down to the lobby, trying to avoid any interactions with Sydney. However, as I entered the lobby I encountered two very familiar blondes, both of which still had a bone to pick with me.

"Good morning" I greeted Klara and Laura in an attempt to not make the situation awkward. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Our stupid shower is broken" Klara replied, seeming a little confused as to why I was talking to her. "We came down to ask for another room, but they won't have one until the afternoon! They're fully booked, because  we're apparently not the only football team here."

"Oh, really? Do we know who the other team is?" I asked curiously.

Laura lifted her glance from her phone and nodded. "Yes, I already had my suspicions, because Ingrid told me they were staying in Murcia too. She just confirmed it's the Norwegian team."

My jaw dropped at Laura's words.

So much to not dealing with Ingrid and the picture situation until after international break.