Chapter 34 - Revelations

A/N: thank you so much for the 2'000 votes... it almost makes me wish I didn't have to do this;

The following morning I woke up after a night filled with tossing and turning due to someone gently nudging me over and over again.

"Let me sleep" I grumbled angrily, hiding my face under my blanket in an attempt to hide from the human alarm clock.

"Mili, you need to get up! We're late again" I was informed by a tired-sounding Sydney.

Sighing, I decided to sit up and stretch, my body making all kinds of disturbing noises. "I'm so tired, because I barely slept after what happened last night" I revealed yawing.

"Same" Sydney admitted, taking a seat next to me, and gently putting her hand on mine. "Listen, it's not that I regret it, but I feel like you need to work out everything that happened with María. Meanwhile, we can rekindle our friendship and see where it takes us if that's something you want?"

I thankfully glanced at my friend, the girl who was once everything I wanted. While it still evoked a lot of different feelings in me, and probably always would, it wasn't like it used to be, because she wasn't who I truly wanted anymore.

Even if she was the safer answer.

And even if I wasn't wanted by Mapi.

I opened my arms widely, and Sydney immediately let herself fall into them. "I just want my best friend back" I sleepily murmured into the crook of her neck.

It was no surprise that we fell asleep again until we were woken up by a concerned Klara 10 minutes before practice started, meaning we had to train on an empty stomach and definitely not enough sleep. Saying it was exhausting was a huge underestimation, in fact, it was probably one of the worst practices I've ever had, a certain blonde in the back of my mind just making it worse.

When the day was finally over football-wise, I excused myself to return to my room alone, a quick glance at my phone telling me I could nap for another hour until I had to meet up with Ingrid.

I still wondered what the hell she could possibly want from me. Had Laura been right with her suspicions?

Exhaustedly, I let myself fall onto my bed, immediately shutting my eyes close, when my peace was interrupted by my phone ringing loudly. With a loud sigh, I grabbed my phone to see who dared to interrupt my much-needed rest, my heart instantly beating faster when I saw who was calling.

"Hi Mapi" I greeted the blonde as her face appeared on my phone, hastily sitting up.

"Hola Princesa" Mapi responded shyly, the dark eyebags making it seem as if she too hadn't gotten too much sleep last night. "Are you alone in your room this time?"

I nodded eagerly, turning my camera around to prove her. "Yes, I am. I'm so sorry about last time, they just came in here without knocking."

"Who's they?" the Spaniard wanted to know, raising an eyebrow.

"Laura, Klara... and Sydney" I sighed, not wanting to cause another fight. "Before you say anything else, Sydney was assigned to be my roommate. I really wanted to tell you, but I was super busy, you've got to believe me!"

"Oh" Mapi simply replied, looking at me like a lost puppy. "It's just so confusing, last time we spoke you were scared to meet Klara and Sydney again, and now...It just felt as if you were shutting me out."

"I know, I really should have talked to you earlier. We're kind of friends again, I guess?" I shrugged, my heart suddenly feeling heavy knowing I wasn't telling Mapi the whole truth. "But you seriously can't react the way you did!"