Chapter 37 - bowling night

A/N: happy new year<3

Nervously, I took another glance at my watch, stepping from one leg to the other to keep myself warm. Winter had finally reached Barcelona and while it was not comparable to the German equivalent, the temperature on this late November night had dropped down to under 10 degrees making my wait anything but enjoyable.
According to my watch, it was currently 18:12 and we were supposed to meet at 18:00.

Why were Spanish people always late?

I would need to leave in a little over half an hour to make it to our team bonding night in time, but I was sure my plans wouldn't be taking that long anyway. However, I didn't want to risk being late as I had been putting on my best behavior in front of Jonatan over the past 10 days that we had been back at training, still anxious that he'd call Mapi and me into his office for our behavior at the game versus Spain.

Finally, I noticed a blonde girl walking towards me, my heart beating anxiously at the sight of her. A part of me had thought she wouldn't show up because the Spaniard had been avoiding my texts and calls ever since I returned to Barcelona.

But here she was.

"Hi, Antonia" I greeted the familiar face coldly, avoiding all forms of physical contact.

"Hola. Lo siento, I'm so late. I missed my metro and- " Antonia nervously blurted out.

"It's okay, don't worry about it" I quickly interrupted her, gesturing to the entrance of the bar that we had chosen for our meeting. "Let's go inside."

The bar was nothing compared to the one Antonia had taken me to on our first date, the interior being dark and run-down.

Luckily, I wasn't here for the bar anyway.

We sat down at a small table next to a tinted window, Antonia anxiously staring at me from vis-à-vis. I hadn't told her the reason why I wanted to meet up, but given the fact that she had been mostly ignoring my attempts to reach her, she probably knew I was onto her.

"Long time no see" the light blonde smiled shyly, nervously tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "How are you?"

"I'm good, thanks. But listen, I'm here because-"

"Are you ready to order?" a small, chubby woman suddenly appeared beside our table, looking at us expectantly.

"I'd like a Sangria, por favor" Antonia ordered, sending the grumpy woman an unrequited smile.

"Mhm," our waitress murmured, turning her head towards me. "And you?"

Annoyed, I threw another glance at my watch, making me realize I only had 20 minutes left. "Just a water, please."

"Nothing to eat?" the waitress asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No, thank you" I sighed, fearing that we wouldn't have enough time.

"Hm," the grumpy woman mumbled, leaving our table without saying another word.

"She doesn't seem too happy with our order" Antonia joked.

"No, definitely not" I replied with forced laughter, inhaling deeply to prepare for what was about to follow. "So... I wanted to talk to you about-"

"My boss says you have to order food" a grumpy voice suddenly sounded next to me.

Would I ever be able to finish my sentence?

"Do you want to share some patatas bravas?" Antonia wondered to which the waitress's eyebrow stayed raised as she still didn't seem to be all too content with our order.