1

The school was in an odd state of silence. Maybe serenity, but silence. The rescue mission was a success with only a few casualties, and I was grateful that Eddie recovered quickly. From what he was able to tell us, there was a lot more Strigoi involved than we anticipated. We took out roughly half of them, the rest fleeing after we were safely behind the renewed wards.

We all suffered some sort of injury from the rescue. I needed stitches from a nasty cut on my shoulder, Dimitri needed some on his forehead from being knocked down by a Strigoi, and Janine had a concussion. Eddie needed a blood transfusion because of being fed on, but was otherwise unharmed.

But I also had a slight concussion, so I wasn't allowed back in my combat classes until I got the all-clear. Four weeks seems like a lifetime, but with classes being out for a bit while the school settled back into a schedule, I was in the gym even when I wasn't supposed to be. So my concussion wasn't healing because I was sparing with Eddie when he didn't know, but I couldn't stand still.

That was until Dimitri busted us and practically banned me from the gym and weight room. And then marched me down to the clinic to get checked on, and then practically guarded my door for three days.

"You're good, Rose. You can return to your classes," Dr. Olendzki said the day after Dimitri stopped guarding my door. I smiled at her and then pointedly raised my bros at Dimitri who lingered by the door.

"It seems pointless for classes to start right now," I said swinging my leg off the edge of the table, "Half the school isn't here, and Easter is next week. Why not wait?"

"Because the school board has dictated that Kirova must start classes up and try to return to normalcy. But I agree, there won't be enough students, there will just be disruption when the rest of the students return," Dr. Olendzki said as she filled out my slip for Alberta and handed it to me.

I hopped off the table and took the slip, tucking it carefully into my pocket. "Too bad we didn't get another week, I could have used it to sleep. I'm exhausted!"

Dr. Olendzki chuckled under her breath. "We all are!"

I smirked and walked out of the clinic, Dimitri trailing just behind me. When we got out I looked at him with a smirk and waved the slip at him.

"Can't keep me out of the gym now! Now you get to have me for three uninterrupted hours a day!" I said with a grin. I knew I was looking forward to having those three hours with him.

"That's fine," he said with a smile, "But I'm not sparring with you until this weekend."

"What?! Why not!?"

"I have something else planned," he said, opening the door that led to the section of the building where Alberta's office was in. We rounded the corner and we saw Alberta standing just outside of her office with two men. Dimitri and I hung back at the end of the hall, Dimitri turning to face me and leaning against the wall.

"How are you feeling? You did hit your head hard," I asked quietly. Any time I asked how he was feeling he gave me vague answers.

"I'm fine," he said softly, "Really. I'm fine, Roza. I'm just glad that you got the all-clear."

I playfully punched my fist against his chest, leaving it there for a minute before dropping my hand.

"I'm really glad that you're okay," I said looking up at him, "When I turned around and you were on the ground...my head went there..."

Dimitri frowned and nodded, his hand coming up towards me but it changed course and he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I know. Mine did too for a moment," he said, "But we're both okay. Thanks to you."