15

I felt sick to my stomach. I hated the idea, but it was the only one that was plausible.

"We really can't take anything with us?" I asked quietly, looking at Abe. Only three people were privy to the plan: Hans, Tatiana, and Abe.

"If someone were to notice something missing, it would send up a red flag," Hans said and I frowned, looking down at my hands in my lap. I finally had somewhere to call my home and was expected to leave everything behind. All my possessions, all the things that we used to create memories. Everything. We had to disappear like ghosts.

"Was there something in particular that you are hesitant to part with?" Tatiana asked and I blushed, slightly embarrassed. it seemed silly to not want to part with it, but it was the only thing I had had my whole life.

"It's nothing," I said quietly and Dimitri rested his hand on my knee.

"I know that you don't want to leave it behind," Dimitri whispered and I shook my head.

"It's fine," I said with a shake of my head.

Tatiana's eyes flicked between us. "What is it?"

"A stuffed animal from Rose's childhood. It's the only object that Rose has ever associated with a home."

Tatiana looked sympathetic but reiterated that it was important that it looked like we were simply going out of court for the day.

"What will be told to everyone?" Dimitri asked.

"We will orchestrate that you will go out of court to a few towns over, and die in a car crash. We will make it so that your bodies won't be identifiable, aside from Briar. We will have Mr. Mazur be the one to identify your bodies. Once that happens, we will inform your mother first and then the Princess and everyone else. We will have someone from the Russia headquarters visit your family personal, Dimitri," Croft explained, tenting his fingers as he spoke.

Dimitri nodded and stroked Briar's head absently as he mulled everything over. I rested my hand on his knee and bit my lip.

"How long will we have to be in hiding?"

"Until the threat can be neutralized," Tatiana said and I frown.

"So, indefinitely," I stated. I leaned forward and cupped my head.

"Our friends and family could miss Briar's whole life," I grumbled and lifted my head. Tatiana nodded and frowned.

"It's unfortunate, but it's the best solution for now."

I stood up and walked around the chambers, my hands on my back as I sighed.

"When do we leave?"

"Two days," Abe said and I stopped, turning to look at my father.

"What?" I whispered, looking at Dimitri. He had the same look of shock and disappointment as I did. It was much sooner than I anticipated, and I felt my heart drop even more. I came back to the couch and sat down with a huff, wincing when I woke Briar and she let out an unhappy whine.

"How are we going to support ourselves? It's not like we can clear our bank accounts. Someone would notice that. We have no idea who is involved where."

"I will take care of that," Abe said, "I will take care of documentation, housing, everything else. All you have to worry about is appearing like nothing is happening. A happy family outing."

I looked at Dimitri and sighed. This wasn't what either of us wanted.

__________________________

I stood in Briar's nursery and took in every detail before moving to our bedroom. We had intentionally left it the way we would if someone wasn't coming. My night clothes were strewn over the bed, Dimitri's current book was on the nightstand, and my makeup was still on the counter in our ensuite. Even the bed wasn't completely made, just the sheets pulled up and the pillows in the places they were in when we woke up.