2

If my friends could sense the change in my mood, nobody mentioned it. After spending an hour and a half locked in the storeroom with Dimitri, I went to class with puffy eyes. Eddie threw me concerned glances and so did Lissa, but it seemed like everyone knew better than to outright ask. Christian even gave me some odd looks but kept to himself.

I caught Dimitri in glances throughout the day but never looked directly at him. I knew better than to look at him because it would just upset me. I had no appetite either, which didn't help with the fact that I felt like I wanted to puke all morning. I managed to get some soup down at lunch, but it wasn't a lot.

"Are you excited for our trip!?" Lissa asked excitedly and I could tell that she was trying to cheer me up.

"Yeah," I said weakly, "But I don't think I'll get anything. I don't have a lot of money and I need to save for when we graduate."

"Nonsense. My treat, you deserve it," Lissa said placing her hand on mine, "Plus, we were invited to an Easter dinner, so you need a dress suitable. The only dress you have is that torn black one from the Equinox dance."

I flinched internally when I thought about that night, the memory of the night flitting across my mind. I looked down at my hand and shrugged. Lissa gave me a small smile when Christian came back to the table, setting down his food. It looked good but the smell hit my nose and I grimaced.

"That doesn't smell right," I complained.

"What do you mean?" Christian asked.

"It smells like the potatoes have gone bad," I said pointing to the scalloped potatoes. Christian lifted the dish and sniffed his food.

"No. It smells fine," he said, "Maybe you're smelling the meatballs on your plate and its mixing funny?"

I shrugged and pushed my plate away from me. "Are you guys coming on the trip?"

"No," Lissa answered, "I thought you and I deserved a girls' trip."

I gave her a small smile. "I think I'm going to head back to my room. I'm really tired," I said getting up from my place. "When were you planning on going?"

"I was thinking maybe tomorrow? With it being Saturday, we won't need to worry so much about classes. We would probably leave around eight."

I nodded. "Okay. I guess I'll see you in a few hours."

_________________________

I jolted awake to a loud bang on the door, and I looked at my clock. It was seven-thirty and I pulled myself from my bed, groaning as I went.

I opened the door to find Lissa standing there looking prim and fresh.

"Did you just wake up!?"

I nodded and opened the door further, resting against it. "My stomach feels off."

"Still?" Lissa said stepping into the room. Once she stepped into the room I noticed she wasn't the only one waiting in the hallway, that Dimitri was lingering against the wall in Guardian mode. I stepped back and turned to Lissa who was pulling clothes out of my dresser and setting them on my bed.

"We'll get you something to eat on the way. Maybe your stomach is funny from dinner last night?"

I shrugged. It probably was just upset from dinner, and I wouldn't be surprised by how crappy the food was, to begin with. I got dressed quietly and ran a brush through my hair before deeming myself appropriate to be out and about.

Lissa smiled at me and left my room and I trailed after her.

"You should eat something light if your stomach is upset. Maybe a granola bar or two for now? And then we can get you some of those egg McMuffins you like so much," Lissa said wrapping her arm around me. I gave her a small smile but caught the concerned look on Dimitri's face. It wasn't normal for us to have upset stomachs for this long.