Chapter 6

I wasn't exactly sure what Dimitri and my mom talked about at breakfast, but I was so happy to wake up wrapped in his arms this morning.

He was awake before me, his hand slipped under my shirt and just under the waistband of my pants. I smiled to myself and rested my hand on his, letting him know I was awake. We lay there until we both needed to get up, but my breakfast with Lissa was probably less entertaining than theirs.

"Are you okay?" Lissa asked over her eggs benedict.

I shrugged and pushed my French toast around my plate, eyeballing my bacon.

"I'm okay, just tired," I said with a small smile.

Lissa furrowed her brows and cut a bite, chewing for a few moments while her eyes flicked around the room. Her eyes narrowed on someone and I turned to look, spotting Ibrahim across the room eating alone.

I huffed and turned back around, looking at Lissa with a clenched smile. Lissa looked just as angry as I did and speared a piece of her breakfast aggressively.

"Where's Christian?"

"Asleep still. I wanted to see how you were doing. I worry about you," Lissa said. It was a little terse, but I didn't take it personally. I knew that her mood wasn't directed at me.

"You don't need to worry about me," I said kindly but Lissa set her utensils down on her plate and folded her hands on the table.

"But I do. You have spent so much time taking care of me, and then you snapped because of the darkness. I rarely would ask you if you were okay, while you were unwillingly syphoning my darkness. Adrian has told me a little bit about auras, and yours is all over the place. I know something else is wrong, please tell me."

I set my fork down and leaned on the table. "All there is to say is that I'm okay, I'm just a little stressed out and just need to figure some things out. I promise I'm okay," I said reaching out and resting my hand on hers. Lissa looked up from my hand and gave me a weak smile.

"I know that you aren't telling me the whole truth, but I'll accept this because it's your life. I just want you to know that I am always here," Lissa said softly.

I nodded and pulled my hand back to finish eating my breakfast, noticing the glances other Moroi were throwing in my direction. If I wasn't so easily irritated lately, it wouldn't have bothered me, but I had to look down at my plate so I didn't say anything to them.

"What time are we flying back?" I mused and reached for my orange juice.

"This afternoon. I think Alberta wants us back at campus as quickly as possible."

I nodded and nibbled on a piece of bacon, casting a glance over my shoulder. I caught a glimpse of Ibrahim looking at me and I narrowed my eyes before looking back.

"That's probably for the best, we don't want to be around that snake for long," I said quietly.

"So Dimitri told you what the name meant."

I looked up at her. "What?"

"Zmey. It means serpent," Lissa said, "But I prefer snake too."

I nodded and set my napkin on the table, unable to eat anymore. I didn't want to be in the same room as him, and there was something about the smell of Lissa's coffee that make my mouth water in a way I didn't like.

"Are you alright? You look a little green?"

I swallowed thickly and gave her a tight smile. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just ready to get back," I said. Lissa raised her brow at me and I was grateful that she couldn't read auras. Who knew what mine showed and I didn't want to give anything away.