Chapter 18

DPOV

I knew deep in my stomach that something was wrong when I came home. Whether it was my own paranoia, or maybe Rose's anxiousness but something was off.

I had gotten a part-time job at the bookstore in town two months after we moved here. It wasn't much, but it was something to keep my mind busy. Rose mocked me for it the first day, but she soon became a regular in the bookstore, curled up in the corner with Briar in the stroller and a book. Or reading to Briar, making all the voices and facial expressions that Briar wouldn't understand.

I was in awe of her. She had grown into such an amazing woman and an impeccable mother. Watching her face light up, even if she was exhausted, every time she held Briar made my heart swell. I loved both of them with everything in me.

Rose and I had joked a few times about making things official with a real marriage, but it wasn't so much of a joke to me. I had a ring picked out with money from the elaborate savings account from Abe. I intended of repaying the money back, but I was just waiting for the right time.

"Roza?"

I asked as I hung up my duster. I walked into the living room and Rose was sitting on the couch, quickly wiping her face. It didn't matter if she did, the base of her throat was blotchy and her eyes were red. She had been crying.

"Roza? What's wrong?" I asked urgently, kneeling in front of her, "Is Briar okay?"

"She's fine. She's napping," Rose croaked and licked her lips. "Adrian sent us the stuff because it doesn't look like we'll be going home anytime soon."

I frowned and rubbed my hands over her thighs. "What do you mean?"

"Tasha has made it almost impossible for her to be pinned. She's made herself desirable to the other Royals, especially the ones on the council. She has the Ozera Prince in her back pocket," Rose explained with a shake of her head, "There is almost no proof to prove Tasha is involved."

I sighed quietly and kissed her forehead. "We knew that this was a possibility, that it would take time."

Rose's trembled and her eyes watered, looking up at me. "Lissa's engaged. Our family is missing Briar's life," she whimpered, "What if they never put this to rest? What if we have to live a lie for the rest of our lives? To know that we will never be able to go to our families' funerals, or weddings, or see their children?"

I knew where Rose's fear came from because I felt them too. I worried about the same fears she voiced and I couldn't say anything to comfort her because there wasn't anything anyone could say to comfort me.

"We'll find a way," I whispered, but we both knew they were just sweet words. Rose looked at me tiredly and leaned forward, resting her cheek on my shoulder with a heavy sigh. I kissed her head and rested my cheek against her hair.

There was a thud upstairs and Rose chuckled.

"Briar has decided she has a throwing arm today," Rose said as she started to stand up but I smiled at her.

"I got her. I missed out this morning," I said as I got up, moving up the stairs towards Briar's room. I pushed the door open and found the now empty sippy cup on the floor next to the dresser and a smiling girl in her crib.

"Did you throw this?" I asked her, raising a brow at her. She gave me a gummy smile and reached her arms up for me.

"Mamamama" she babbled as I lifted her up and snarled playfully, pressing kisses on her jaw and cheek, making her shriek in laughter. She loved it when we did that, and if I gently rubbed my cheek against hers at the end of the day, the stubble would tickle.