14

I was disoriented when I woke up but it was clear after a moment where I was, and who was speaking.

"You look good with a babe in your arms."

"Don't get any funny ideas," my mother drawled, swaying side to side as she cradled Briar. I blinked a few times but didn't say anything, just observed. Abe was dressed in his same old eccentric suits, tied together with a blush scarf. Janine was out of Guardian wear, jeans and a simple sweater.

"I didn't say I had any 'funny ideas', I was just stating a fact," Abe retorted, but even from here, I could see the fond look on his face. Dimitri was reclined back in a chair, head tilted to the side and sound asleep. I smiled to myself, glad that he was getting some sleep too.

"Remember when Rosemarie was this small?" Janine asked, smiling down at Briar as she stretched her hand up. Janine caught her little fist and kissed the back of it, all while smiling and speaking softly to her.

"I think Rosemarie was smaller than that," Abe said as he stood up, still neither of them noticing that I was awake. Abe came to stand next to Janine, wrapping his arm around her as he looked down at Briar.

"Who would have thought that a granddaughter would bring us back into the same room?"

"Our daughter did that, Abe," Janine said quietly and looked at him. "She did that. Briar is just the added bonus."

Abe smirked and nodded, boldly kissing Janine's temple.

"Sen her zaman hayatımın aşkı olacaksın," Abe said and by the tone he used, I felt like I was intruding on something I shouldn't. I looked at Janine's face; she smiled at him and leaned into him.

"Seni seviyorum," she whispered, "But, you can't get everything back so quickly. You still need to earn my trust back."

Abe nodded earnestly and I could see by the way that they looked at each other that there was still something there, there was still a spark that they both felt. Janine smiled again and kissed the top of Briar's head before carefully handing her over to Abe.

I smiled to myself in silence at how my parents interacted with each other and with Briar. It was like seeing a completely different side of them that I didn't know existed. I decided that now would be a good time to let them know that they weren't exactly alone.

"Morning," I said quietly.

Janine's eyes widen and she looked at me.

"Morning, Rosemarie," she said and smiled at me. Abe looked up and smiled at me too, gently patting Briar's back.

I smiled at both of them and swallowed before my eyes went to the cooing baby in Abe's arms.

"Dede time is already over and it just started," Abe pouted but got up and brought Briar to me. I sighed and rested her against my chest, already memorized but how perfect she was. She was still red and scrunched-looking, but I didn't blame her. She was crammed inside a tight space for the last two months.

"Has she been fed yet?" I asked as I shifted in bed.

"No, the nurse had thought that it may be best for you to have the first feed of the day," Janine said and handed me the nursing blanket. I thanked her quietly and smiled at Briar when I noticed her eyes were open.

"Good morning," I said softly and draped the blanket over one should and prepared to feed. Once I got Briar situated, I looked at my father levelly.

"Why doesn't Dimitri want Tasha Ozera anywhere near me or Briar?" I asked bluntly with a sweet smile on my face.

"Subtle, Rose," Janine snorted.

"Why would you think I would know?" Abe asked with raised brows.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Because he said it the day we got to the house and he even went as far as to tell the hospital staff. It sounded very Abe of him. The man is insistent that one of the few friends he has not meet his child. He wouldn't do that without a reason, and there is only one other person who is this squirrely over my protection. No offence, Mom," I said and cast a glance at Janine.