Chapter 09

Monday 27th October, 1976

It was nearing the end of October, nearly all of the leaves gone from the trees, instead resting peacefully on the ground, occasionally being stepped on by a student or teacher, a satisfying crunch accompanying the action.

The marauders had pranked Regulus, using their extended knowledge of Charms to cast a very impressive spell on his wand. I said the marauders and not me though, because they'd barely checked in with me before doing the prank. I wasn't too upset though, because the prank was quite good, maybe just a bit over the top.

We all watched it unfold on Monday morning at breakfast, eyes fixed on Regulus as he took out his wand to cast some sort of spell. Instead of the desired effect, a duck was transfigured in the middle of the Great Hall, decked out in red and gold colours that was chanting 'Regulus sucks'. Regulus attempted to vanish it, only to have another duck appear, joining the chant. Eventually one of his friends, Caius Avery, had to vanish the ducks when Regulus continued attempting to vanish them himself, resulting in half the Slytherin table overcrowded with ducks. Regulus sent a scathing look my way at the end of it all.

I grinned at him, feeling satisfied, and stood up, intending to go to class early. James and Sirius were whispering and giggling with one another, most likely planning their next prank for Regulus. I only hoped they'd let me help next time.

I made it to Charms just as the bell went, having made a detour to talk to Lily, Mary, and Marlene. I spotted Regulus sitting quietly, an empty seat next to him belonging to me. I strode over to him and settled into my chair, glancing at Regulus. He didn't look at me.

The teacher started speaking, informing us we'd be practising spells with the person next to us. I looked to Regulus who was already staring at me, holding out his wand expectantly. I raised an eyebrow, saying nothing and forcing him to speak.

"Take the curse off my wand," he said.

"What's the magic word?" I teased, remembering the other day when he'd done the exact same thing to me.

"Please take the curse off my wand," he sighed, grimacing at the words coming out of his mouth.

I smirked, victorious, and cast the counter-spell James taught me. He cautiously flicked his wand, his quill levitating in the air, before turning to me, satisfied that his wand was working normally again.

We cast some spells in silence, our focused fixed solely upon the task we'd been assigned. That silence ended rather quickly though, as we both finished the work and sat there with nothing else to do besides bicker with one another.

"Had to get your brother and his friends to help prank me, huh?" Regulus asked coolly.

I shot him a glare, wondering how he knew the others helped. It hadn't been that noticeable a difference, had it? I didn't like the fact he knew it wasn't just me who pranked him, and I hated the thought of him getting his friends to help prank me.

"How'd you know?" I eventually questioned, voicing my thoughts.

Regulus scoffed, looking away as he answered.

"I'd recognise my brother's handiwork anywhere."

I rolled my eyes, looking away as I felt something twist in my stomach. I remembered our talk that night in his dorm, the things he'd confessed. I wondered if it hurt, seeing Sirius so happy and free when he never could be.

I frowned, clearing my throat and banishing those thoughts. It would do me no good to pity Regulus Black, who would never show me mercy in return. He was a cruel boy, a Slytherin from a pureblood mania family, and I'd do good to remember that.