Chapter 19

Tuesday 18th November, 1976

Pain shot through my spine as I was slammed against the wall. I let out a hiss of discomfort and looked up to find Mulciber leering down at me, a twisted smirk on his face.

Before I could even think of it, Mulciber snatched my wand from my pocket and threw it away, a small clatter echoing around the room as it landed on the stone floor. He let out a nauseating laugh as he watched my expression form into one of fear as I realised I was alone, defenceless, with Mulciber pinning me against the wall.

I immediately started struggling, jerking my body left and right in an attempt to escape his grip, but Mulciber was too strong and slammed me against the wall, again. I flinched, sucking in a sharp breath.

"Consider this payback," the Slytherin snarled, before bringing up his knee to my stomach.

I doubled over, hands going to my stomach as pain exploded inside my gut. I panted, trying to catch my breath, but then Mulciber had his hands on me and his fist was connecting with my jaw, a sickening crack following the action.

Stars spotted my vision as he punched me again, busting my lip in the action. It hurt. Everything hurt. I didn't know what to do. Panic was clawing at my throat, stopping me from calling for help. What was I supposed to do? How could I stop him? He was stronger than me, and I was defenceless, my wand laying discarded meters away.

I was alone. There was no-one here to save me. There was nothing I could do to stop it. Mulciber had complete control. It terrified me.

I felt Mulciber's hand curl of my shirt and pull. I lurched upright, staggering on unstable feet as Mulciber reared his fist back. I closed my eyes, waiting for the blow.

It never came.

There was the sudden sound of thundering footsteps and my eyes flew open, searching for my potential saviour. My stomach dropped when I recognised Regulus standing there, watching us with wide eyes.

I remembered, back at the start of school, when our positions were swapped and it was Regulus Mulciber had pinned against the wall, not me. I remembered what he'd said, after I saved him. I hate you and you hate me. Leaving me would have been priceless revenge. I would have done it.

I would have done it.

Whatever hope I felt went down the drain as I remembered those 5 words. Regulus would not save me. I would be left here, alone with Mulciber, while he went to his class pretending to be oblivious to what was happening to me. Or maybe he would stay and watch.

I was surprised when he didn't do any of those things. I watched, as if in slow motion, as Regulus stalked up to Mulciber and punched the smug grin right off his face. I stood there, frozen, as Mulciber cursed, clutching his nose that was now currently gushing blood.

Regulus had his wand out and pointed at Mulciber's head, his eyes darkened, and mouth curved into a sneer. I had the brief thought that he was going to kill Mulciber, but it was quickly forgotten when I pushed myself off the wall in an attempt to stand, only to stagger forward, the ground coming closer at an alarming rate.

Before I could hit the floor, two warm arms wrapped around me and lifted me upright, steadying me. I gripped Regulus's arms, squeezing my eyes shut when the world seemed to tip. My head was throbbing, thanks to Mulciber's punching skills. I felt like my skull was cracked open and my brain was seeping out of my head. I desperately hoped that wasn't the case, and moved my arm to shakily check if any brain juice was escaping.

When my hand came back dry I let out a sigh of relief and leaned heavier on Regulus, feeling my energy deplete by the second.

"Where's Mulciber?" I rasped, noticing the Slytherin boy's absence.