Chapter 70

Y/n's POV

Monday 26th July, 1977

It had been nearly a month after the incident, and things were certainly different. Walburga and Orion Black were both arrested for child abuse, thanks to some of Monty's friends in high places. They were most likely going to worm their way out of a sentencing to Azkaban because of their own connections, but Effie and Monty were given legal custody of Regulus, so there was that at least. Investigations were also taking place in the rest of the Black family, and I hoped that meant more people would be able to escape the clutches of the Blacks.

Regulus and I had both also started seeing Mind Healers, both for different reasons. Regulus, because he had just escaped an abusive household and been forced to live there for years, and me because Walburga had used the Cruciatis curse on me. I couldn't actually remember a lot about that night, but I do remember the pain. I remember feeling like fire was coursing through my veins, like my skin was being ripped off of my body and feeling as though there was a beast inside me clawing through me. I don't think I'll ever forget that feeling, and it only made me more sympathetic towards Regulus and Sirius who had to feel what I felt a million times over.

Regulus had taken some time to adjust to his new surroundings at the Potter Manor. For the first few days, he wouldn't leave his room and would only allow Sirius and I to see him separately, because us together was too overwhelming for him. Eventually I'd been able to convince him to come out for dinner, and so everyday after that he'd come out for meals, sitting stiffly in his seat and being overly polite. About a week and a bit since he'd arrived, we'd just finished dinner and Regulus had been about to go back to his room when Monty had offered to show him the new potion he was working on.

Regulus had looked like a deer in headlights, but as Sirius and I encouraged him to go he hesitantly followed Monty into his office and promptly fell in love with him. He became similar to a puppy after that, trailing Monty around the house and looking very pleased whenever he acknowledged him. He hung out of his room more often and even took the time to get to know Effie more as well.

He still spent a lot of time away from us, but had relocated to the library, his favourite place in the house. I would often find him curled up on a sofa with a book and occasionally joined him, resting my head on him as I read over his shoulder. He liked that, physical touch. He'd become more clingy, needing to feel me and touch me as if to make sure I was real. I didn't mind though, and let him do whatever he needed to feel more comfortable here.

About two weeks after he'd moved in, we were sitting on the couch in the living room together, James and Sirius playing a game of Wizarding Chess on the floor beside us, when Monty had entered the room.

"Has anyone seen my copy of A journey Through Potions and Herbology?"

I felt Regulus stiffen beside me, his fingers going white as he gripped his book tightly. Slowly, he stood up and walked towards Fleamont reluctantly, holding out the book he was reading.

"I'm really sorry Sir, I was reading it," Regulus said, head bowed. "I didn't know you were reading it, otherwise I would have never taken it. I'm so sorry."

Monty looked at Regulus in surprise before fondly ruffling his hair. Regulus flinched, but then looked up startled when no punishment followed it.

"How did you like it?" Fleamont asked.

Regulus looked up confused. "How did I like it..?"

"The book," Monty clarified. "Come, follow me. Have you read section five yet? Because I found it fascinating when they labelled the Devil's Snare as..."