Chapter 56

Saturday 1st May, 1977

The next day I met Regulus at the Great Hall. I'd kicked him out of the dorm so I could get ready without him seeing what I was wearing until it was actually time to go on the date. He'd laughed but complied, and I could tell he was just as excited about this as me.

"You look gorgeous," Regulus said when he spotted me. "I guess all those hours of getting ready paid off."

I rolled my eyes, lightly nudging his shoulder. "It did not take hours."

Regulus shrugged, letting out an exaggerated sigh. "I don't know, it seemed pretty long to me."

"That's because you were the one locked out of the dorm."

Regulus scoffed, but there was a smile playing at the corner of his lips. He linked our arms, and together we started making our way to Hogsmeade. I felt butterflies and nerves in my stomach, even though we'd been dating forever, because we'd never technically gone on a date before. Plus, there would be a lot of other people there, seeing us going on a public date, so there were bound to be stares and rumours. I just hoped they wouldn't ruin our date.

We arrived at Hogsmeade and bumped into Evan and Barty who were obviously on a date themselves, yet took the chance to tease us endlessly about our date.

I raised an eyebrow at them. "Ever heard of the saying 'people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'?"

"No but it sounds ridiculous," Barty answered evenly.

"Of course it does," Regulus muttered under his breath.

Barty shot him a glare. "Got something to say Black?"

Regulus blinked at Barty, feigning innocence as he slowly shook his head. "No idea what you're talking about Crouch."

Evan and I shared a look, rolling our eyes at our boyfriends' behaviour, though we both had fond smiles on our faces. They were idiots but they were our idiots. Barty and Regulus continued bickering until Evan and I managed to tear them away from one another. It sort of seemed like Barty and Regulus were the couple, if we're being honest.

After the run in with Evan and Barty, we managed to bump into Dorcas. She flashed a grin, knowing about our date, and was also teasing us endlessly about it. This time there was no escape, as she wasn't currently on a date herself, the bastard.

We eventually left her and found ourselves in a booth at The Three Broomsticks with butterbeers and delightful conversation. I stared at Regulus, at his beautiful curls and pale skin. At the way he seemed so much better than he had a few weeks ago. I was glad; he deserved to be happy, as did I. It was much better being together rather than apart, yet I still had the nagging thought of how his parents took his defiance. Regulus hadn't brought it up, so I hadn't asked, and I certainly wasn't going to ask on our date.

I was glad we were both doing better, though. Even with James and Sirius throwing a fit and the whole school talking about us, being with Regulus was relieving. Like coming home again. Regulus had become a part of my home, one of the few people I felt most comfortable with, and I was immensely grateful for it. I was grateful to have such an amazing boyfriend, and grateful to be able to love him freely, out in the open. Though the circumstances weren't the best, I wasn't sure I'd go back if I could, because being with him publicly felt like a weight being lifted off my chest. No more worrying about who would see us or what people were thinking when they saw us together. No more fake fights so people wouldn't get suspicious.

The peak of the date was when Regulus took me to a bookstore. I looked through the shelves, feeling ecstatic that my boyfriend had brought me to a bookstore, when we got to the romance section. All of a sudden he had me pinned against the wall and was whispering in my ear, "which book, darling?"

Safe to say Regulus had earned himself a lot more points for himself as the best boyfriend ever. He ended up buying me two books. Which were both hardcovers. My man really had a way with women, and I was once again so thankful he was mine.

After that, he took me to Honeydukes and bought me all the sweets I wanted, as well as Zonko's for old times sakes. By the time we were ready to go back to Hogwarts, I was very content. It had been the best date ever and I would be bragging about it to all my friends for years to come.

It was when we were just about to leave Hogsmeade that it happened. We were holding hands, being careful not to slip on the slippery sidewalk, when we arrived in front of none other that Selena Rowle. I glared at her, feeling an intense hatred come over me. She was the reason James and Sirius knew about Regulus and I, the reason they were no longer talking to me. She was the reason everything had been ruined just when it had gotton better. She was pure evil, but Merlin she also looked beautiful.

With her hair out and auburn ringlets going down her back, as well as the makeup on her face, defining her freckles and bringing attention to her russet brown eyes, she looked perfect, which only made my hatred for her increase. How could someone so beautiful on the outside be so vile on the inside? It was just another case of Walburga Black, a beautiful human with an ugly heart.

"What do you want?" I spat when she didn't move out of our way.

Selena narrowed her eyes at me, eyeing me with distaste. "Nothing from you."

"Then leave," Regulus's voice came out harsh, cold. "Because I certainly want nothing to do with you."

Selena's lip curled in distaste. "Don't be so quick to cast me aside, Regulus. There are few respectable pureblood females your age as it is. Don't lessen your chances further, that is unless you want to marry this thing."

Regulus sneered at her. "Fuck off Selena. You're being pathetic. Leave or I'll make you."

Selena stood there for a moment longer, her stunning brown eyes fixed firmly on Regulus before she was striding past us, flicking her hair over her shoulder as she went. My eyes followed her until she was out of sight, my nose scrunched up in distaste.

"I'm sorry about that," Regulus murmured when we continued our walk back to the school. "I didn't mean for her to ruin our date."

I shook my head, grabbing his hand. "Please, on the contrary it made it even better. I mean, we totally won that standoff."

Regulus laughed and pulled me in for a quick kiss. I smiled, feeling happy that we could actually do things like that now. It felt freeing, and I revelled in it. When we eventually got to the castle, we stood there in front of each other, smiling shyly like we hadn't been dating for over four months.

"This was a really good date," I said. "Thank you."

Regulus smiled, cupping my face in his hands. "I'm glad you liked it."

He pressed his lips to mine for a chaste kiss before moving back, and then we just stood there, staring at each other awkwardly.

"...do you wanna get snacks and play exploding snap in the dorm?"

"Yes."

A/N:

y/n and reggie had a date!! they're so cute 

and reg put selena in her place. pop off ig.