Chapter 13

Monday 3rd November, 1976

I was in the library, trying to clear the red from my vision. It was quiet here, allowing me the few moments of peace I needed to regain control of my emotions. I was still angry with the marauders; angry didn't even cover it really, but I knew I needed to calm down if I wanted to think clearly, and I desperately wanted to think clearly.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I couldn't just sit with them at lunch and act like nothing was wrong, because things were most certainly wrong, but the thought of just ignoring them seemed too small, too petty. I needed to do something, show them that what they did wasn't okay. I also needed to apologise to Regulus.

Speak of the devil, I thought as Regulus Black walked through the library entrance. He seemed fine; hair immaculate and clothes unruffled. It was as if the prank never happened, though it certainly did, if my rage was any indication.

As I stared at Regulus, I was hit with the perfect, genius idea of how to get back at the marauders and grinned widely, even though no-one was there to see it except me. I waited until Regulus was walking past before grabbing him and shoving him in a secluded isle, shelves upon shelves of books no one seemed interested in surrounding us with a thick layer of dust upon them.

"Is this where you bring all your boys Potter?" Regulus asked slyly.

"Only when I want to murder them," I responded without thought. Then, "wait, you're not mad at me?"

Regulus raised an eyebrow. "I saw you storming away from your idiot brother and assumed you had nothing to do with it."

I was surprised he'd guessed so spot on. Was I really that transparent? Could he really not believe me just a good actor? What if I really did help with this prank, and all of it was just an elaborate scheme to get him alone so I could murder him? Honestly, he should be more careful.

"For once, your right," I said instead. "I wouldn't recommend getting used to it though."

"Potter, you should know insulting people isn't a good form of seduction," the boy in front of me taunted.

It seemed he was in a rather playful mood. Two could play at that game, though.

"You see that window over there?" I said seductively, lowering my voice to a lovers tone, taking one slow, small step towards him.

Alarm briefly flashed across Regulus's face, and he looked to the window before back at me, throat bobbing as he tried to figure out what was happening. He nodded his head uncertainly.

"If you don't shut up, I'm going to throw you out of it," I finished, voice going back to normal.

Regulus rolled his eyes, trying to collect himself. "I'd like to see you try."

Before I could do anything, a Ravenclaw fourth year with blonde hair and blue eyes walked into the isle. Funnily enough, it was the one who had assumed we were a couple at the Halloween party and had been severely mistaken. It was almost comical for her to find us again, in a secluded isle, much closer than two people who were not a couple should be. Without saying a single thing, the Ravenclaw turned around and walked away, shaking her head as she went.

I cleared my throat, taking a step back from Regulus as I tried to remember why we were here.

"There is an actual reason I brought you here," I said eventually.

"Oh really?" Regulus retorted sarcastically. "I couldn't tell."

I rolled my eyes, electing to ignore his remark and continue on with what I was saying. "I have an idea."