Chapter 15

Saturday 8th November, 1976

I woke up early Saturday morning, feeling rather nervous. I went to the Great Hall and ate breakfast in silence, many of the students occupying the school still sleeping.

After breakfast, I found myself in my dorm, looking through clothes because apparently the outfit I was wearing today wasn't good enough. I wasn't sure why I was so nervous in the first place; it was only Regulus I was meeting. No one special.

Even so, my stomach was still churning by the time I made it to Hogsmeade. I looked around, remembering we'd decided to meet at Zonko's and started trudging through the snow to get to the store.

I saw Regulus before he saw me, allowing me a few seconds to observe him before he noticed me. Like the last time he was in Hogsmeade, he was wearing almost full black, except this time he wore no scarf and instead had a Slytherin jumper on.

When he noticed me, I pretended I hadn't been staring at him and walked over to the boy, nodding my head in greeting. I still wasn't sure how to act around him because while I certainly didn't like him, we were on the same side now, so the lines between us had blurred.

"Ready?" he asked me.

"Ready, I answered.

We braved the store, dodging multiple flying objects and students running around. Zonko's was always chaos, and we were on high alert as we browsed through the store, careful to avoid any collisions or injuries.

Looking through the store with Regulus was actually kind of fun. We'd notice a certain object and beckon the other over, making jokes or inappropriate comments about it. After about half an hour of looking, joking, and manoeuvring our way through the shop, we finally found what we were looking for.

"Perfect," I grinned, picking up the packet and looking at it. "It's on sale too."

"Good. Is that all we need?" Regulus asked.

"I think so," I said happily, turning around to head for the counter.

I stopped in my tracks when I saw James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus heading straight towards us. The only thoughts in my head in that moment were, they can't see the supplies. I hid them behind my back and moved closer to Regulus in the hopes of masking the items we had.

They stopped in front of us, Sirius and James glaring at Regulus while Peter and Remus looked on in confusion, all of them wondering why I was at Zonko's with Regulus, my sworn enemy.

"What are you doing at Hogsmeade together?" Sirius asked us, eyeing Regulus with disdain.

Regulus in turn looked at Sirius blankly, keeping a mask over his face to hide whatever emotions he was feeling.

"The real question is what are you guys doing here together?" I responded quickly, unable to think of an excuse.

"We're friends...?" James answered, confused.

"But what about Lily?" I asked.

James's expression brightened at the name of the red head he'd been in love with for years and he looked around, as if thinking she'd be right there waiting for him.

"What do you mean?" James asked.

"Didn't Lily tell you she was waiting for you at The Three Broomsticks?" I questioned, feigning confusion.

James's eyes widened and he grabbed Sirius's arm before bolting out of the store, no doubt to The Three Broomsticks where he believed Lily to be waiting for him. Lily, who had told me earlier, was at The Three Broomsticks, but definitely not because she was waiting for James. Lily would forgive me though. Hopefully.