Chapter 57

Sunday 9th May, 1977

It had been two weeks and James and Sirius were still ignoring me. I'd made up with both Remus and Peter, but they usually followed James and Sirius's lead whenever all four of them were around me, making me feel like I'd lost all of them instead of only two.

To make things worse, O.W.L.s were in a month. A single month. I'd been cramming as much study time as possible, though without any of the marauders help I was worried I'd fail and become the black sheep of the family.

I'd been sending my mother letters more often as well, feeling a need to be able to talk to at least one family member that didn't hate me. I'd informed her about everything that had happened, hoping she have some sort of helpful advice or support. She had both, though whatever I did didn't seem to matter, because my brothers stayed stubbornly angry at me.

I opened my eyes groggily. As I started being aware of my surroundings, the first thing I noticed was Regulus's body against mine. I smiled, still not used to sleeping with him every night, so every morning I got the nice surprise of seeing him. It also didn't hurt that he was the last thing I saw before I went to bed and the first thing I saw when I woke up.

I let myself stare at Regulus's sleeping form, noting how peaceful he looked. His hair was dishevelled, the only time I ever saw it like that, but it was very attractive on him. His mouth was parted slightly as he slept, his chest slowly rising and falling with each breath he took. I light brushed some of his hair from his face and he stirred, eyes fluttering open.

A tired smile appeared on his face when he saw me, sleepily pulling me towards him and burying his head in the crook of my neck. I let out a chuckle, softly stroking his hair as he sighed contentedly, nuzzling my throat.

We stayed there for a while longer, just enjoying one another's company as we lazily lied in bed. When my stomach started to ache and my mind kept drifting to food, though, I knew it was time to get up. However, when I tried to leave the bed Regulus let out a noise of displeasure and tightened his grip around my waist, tugging me closer to him once more.

I laughed. "Come on Reg, I've got to get up."

He huffed, cracking his eyes open to glare at me, a pout on his face. "No."

I ruffled his hair fondly. "Yep."

Regulus gave another sound of disapproval from his throat but let me untangle myself from his arms and leave the bed. I got some clothes and went into the bathroom, getting ready. When I exited the bathroom Regulus was also fully dressed, his hair suspiciously neat.

"How is your hair so perfect when you didn't even have a hairbrush?"

Regulus shrugged. "A magician never tells their secrets."

I scoffed, but smiled at him, and together we made our way to the Great Hall. Breakfast was a quick affair, both of us wanting to spend as much time as possible studying. So that's how we spent the first half of our day, holed up in the library with mounds of books surrounding us. Soon enough Barty, Evan, Avery, and Pandora joined us, and then Dorcas also found her way to our table. There was some speaking and jokes that were made, but majority of the time was spent in silence.

"I'm bored," Evan stated after a while of studying, tossing his work aside. "Who's up for some quidditch?"

Avery's hand shot up. "Me, please. I think I'll die if I have to write one more word on the theory of switching spells."

Regulus sent a questioning look at me and I nodded. It wouldn't hurt to spend a little time away from studying. Everyone ended up agreeing, Dorcas splitting up with us for a bit in search for some food to bring.