Chapter 23

Tuesday 25th November 25, 1976

Shit. Shit, shit, shit.

How much of an idiot was I? How had I not realised I fancied Regulus Black until now? Lily had even told me to my face that I liked him, and I had been too oblivious to realise. Oh Merlin, Lily. She was going to be insufferable. I'd really dug a deep hole for myself. All those strange feelings I'd felt when he looked at me, smiled at me, talked to me.

Oh Godric, I was stupid. This was why I wasn't in Ravenclaw.

I moved away, sitting back down in my spot, my mind all over the place. I looked at Regulus, butterflies instantly appearing in my stomach, and quickly averted my gaze. I couldn't even look at him anymore without getting flustered.

My gaze landed on James and Sirius, both of whom were glaring at Regulus and Rosier. I'm fucked. How could I like Regulus when my own brother hated him? And Sirius. How could I do this to Sirius? How could I be friends with him when I was wishing his brother would kiss me again? And yet I couldn't help but feel excited, giddy even, whenever Regulus and I made eye-contact.

I felt caged. I needed to leave, to be alone with my thoughts, but the doors were still locked, forcing me to endure the rest of the afternoon trapped, unable to think properly. When the doors did finally open I was the first to exit, making my way to the Gryffindor Common Room with speed.

When I entered my dorm room I collapsed on my bed, letting out a frustrated groan. I couldn't believe I liked Regulus Black. I couldn't believe I wanted him to wrap his arms around me and hold me. I couldn't believe I wanted him to kiss me. I couldn't believe I wanted him to be mine.

I really was fucked.

. . .

Wednesday 26th November, 1976

I had decided to stay in my bed hidden under my blankets and pillows forever. I didn't know how I was supposed to face Regulus now that I knew I liked him, so the best option was to not face him, or anyone else, ever again.

Unfortunately, Lily did not share that view, and as I hid under my blankets I heard the door slam open and footsteps storm towards my bed. Next second, my blankets were ripped away from me and I was suddenly face to face with Lily.

"Get up Y/n, you've got school," she informed me.

"No thank you," I replied, promptly shoving my head under my pillow.

She stole that from me too. "Come on Y/n."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Why not?"

I sighed, rolling over to face the ceiling as I thought about the predicament I was in. I really didn't want to tell her about Regulus, but at the same time I knew I had to tell someone, and she was my safest option.

"Because I fancy Regulus Black," I said miserably. Lily gasped, staring at me in shock. "Why are you shocked? You knew before I did!"

Lily shook her head, composing herself. "Sorry, I was just surprised that you actually admitted it. So, what's the problem then?"

I sat upright, looking at the red head in front of me incredulously. "That's the problem!" I exclaimed. "How am I supposed to face him now that I know that I like him? I'm going to be a flustered mess!"

Lily sat down on my bed next to me, looking at me in the eye. "Is that the only reason?"

I sighed, looking at the floor.