three

I had given my mother the day off today, mainly because she said she had gotten a headache from keeping the bakery open for so long

Romero enters the bakery and I shake my head as he rubs the back of his.

"About last night, I'm sorry Grace. I never know my limits with drinks or smoking, I think I'm going to quit starting today because I can't deal with another headache like this one" He sits down on the stool in front of the counter as I wipe it down.

"Really? You're going to quit smoking and drinking? I don't believe you at all" I cross my arms, I don't remember when he started.

"Okay I lied but I am sorry. I don't know why I let myself get that fucked up, actually, I do know why. I just don't want to think about it" He says as he drops his head down on his arms resting on the counter.

"Well, then I guess you don't want to know what she said after you left" He raises his head at such speed I think he had forgotten about his headache.

I grab my rag and go to wipe off the other counters and he follows me, "What did she say?"

"You said you didn't want to"—

"Grace, this is serious. What did she say?" I almost laugh at how badly he wants to know.

"She asked if you were seeing anyone and I said you weren't, then she asked me to give you her new number so you two could meet up and talk" I explained while cleaning the counter. I turn to look at his reaction and he looks stuck.

"She wants to talk? Like, talk to me?" He questions and I roll my eyes.

"Give me her number" He suddenly says and I stop wiping the counter, taking out my phone and showing him her phone number.

"A please and a thank you would get you so far in life," I say as he types in the number on his phone.

"I don't know if I can call her, let alone talk to her," He says, "But I'll try because there's a lot I want to say to her."

"Call her when you're ready, don't rush it" I pat his shoulder, he nods, and puts his phone away.

"How'd you get home?" He asks and I'm surprised he doesn't already know.

"Mariano took me, your friend," I tell him and his eyebrows raise for a quick second.

"It's not like you to trust someone that quickly."

"I don't trust him but I know that you do so that was enough for me. I still have no clue if he's a good person or not" I finish wiping down the tables and set them up with the little white flowers in the middle inside of the small vases.

"Is he like one of the guys my father hires or works with?" I ask, wanting to know more about the man who took me home last night.

I thought it was kind of him to make sure I got safely inside before he left.