ten

"Still not drinking?" Romero nods his head at the bartender and takes the drink and questions me when I decline the whiskey

"I can't show up and hug my daughter smelling like whiskey and booze" The bartender places a water bottle next to me and I unscrew the cap with my left hand as we sit at the bar on the stools.

"Grace hates the smell of alcohol anyways" He throws back the shot and pours himself another.

He subtly mentions her but my mind recalls that she hadn't come back last night. Neither did she call me like I asked her to do and I let go of the thought in my mind.

"What else does she hate?" I ignore the eyebrow raise he gives me, "She lives with me, am I not supposed to be a good host for my guest?"

"Besides you, she's my best friend. I'm only fine with this because I know you're not any more deep shit and she won't be exposed to any of the crap her father just got into" He checks his phone before slipping it into his back pocket.

"You're worried about her safety" I can see the look in his eyes.

"He might as well sign his life away with that dumb fucking plan of his" Romero swears, shaking his head.

It was clear Grace didn't inherit her brilliance from her father. Because a smart man wouldn't walk into another man's business and threaten his life especially when he has a family.

But then again, Jeremiah Kennedy is not a smart man at all.

"If you're so worried about her, you might wanna call her and ask her where she was last night. I didn't get a call from her so I couldn't pick her up as you wanted me to" I inform him and he curses again.

"You didn't tell me this shit sooner?" He grabs his phone and holds it to his ear and I let him try and get her to pick up the phone.

I leave him to swear continuously at his phone and walk to the hallway of the bar, leaning my head against the wall and listening to the sound of the call connecting.

"Come on Beautiful, you have to have something to say to me after you just got me in trouble," I say into the phone after she picks up on the third ring.

"I got sidetracked last night... I was going to call you but it was too late and I went back to my friend's house... is that why Romero's calling me right now" Sometimes I wondered if she knew how oblivious she sounded.

"You're not the best listener, are you? I told you that I didn't care what time it was, when you call I'll be there" I tuck my hand into my front pocket.

"I'll call next time... no matter the time" She quietly states, I hear shifting from the background noise.

"You better. I'm not listening to him yell at me again because you wanted a lot more than dinner at night. If that's what you wanted, you could've told me, I would've been more than happy to give it to you My eyes are closed, my head is leaning back on the wall, the headache I woke up with felt like it was growing worse with each movement of my head.