five

I sat at the small cafe, with a coffee in front of me as I waited for Mariano after I called him and asked if we could meet and discuss his offer

I was interested, if it was anything that didn't involve me working near or for Ignacio, I would take it.

I lifted my head when I heard his voice, he mentioned my name to the woman behind the counter and she pointed over to me.

No matter where this man went he looked expensive. I placed his cup of coffee closer to his side of the table so he could see it.

"Beautiful" Is the first thing he says as he sits down, addressing me as the compliment he's turned into some sort of nickname for me.

The round table separating us is too small for his long legs, I can feel them brushing mine which makes me retreat them backward and cross my ankles so he has more legroom.

"I didn't mean for us to meet so early," I say, keeping my hands on my lap, messing with the material of my dress which his eyes glance at.

"Don't apologize beautiful, I'm not complaining" He uses the small spoon on the side of him to mix his coffee before adding some of the sugar.

"I want to discuss your offer, I told Ignacio that I no longer wanted to work for him and he told me he'd always save a spot for me and the last thing I want to do is have to go back and ask for my job back" I explain, really hoping the offer is something I can accept.

"You don't have to worry about that, I'm sure you'll agree to my offer" He sounded confident which made me a bit nervous.

"I'm only hearing you out because of Romero, him trusting you is enough" I make it clear, if it weren't for him being close to Romero, I don't think I would be sitting in front of him right now.

"What exactly has he told you about me?" He seemed curious, drinking his coffee and asking the waiter to refill my glass of white jasmine tea.

"He told me that he trusts you, that you aren't a bad guy and that the reason you moved here was for your family" I give him the narrative that Romero had given to me.

"And how much of that do you believe yourself?" He questions me, a hand on his chin as he looks deeply into my eyes.

"I believe enough of it" I responded and it felt like everything I said he found amusing.

"It's true, what he said. I did move here for my family but there's more to it" He doesn't go on further than that before placing the black file he walked in with on the table.

"I've recently been trying to gain full custody of my daughter. But some lawyers believe that I'm unfit to be a single parent. Now to receive full custody over her, I need to be at least engaged or married to be able to fully support her" He explains to me.

"Wait" I start to put the pieces together and as he notices, "Is your offer for me to marry you?" I almost let out an unbelievable laugh.

"As much as I think we should wait and see where this goes before we think about marriage, but yes that's part of my offer" He adds.