21. Talent Show

Wait ~ M83

"Okay, we both have to go to work now," my mom said, hugging me. "We're running late."

"Alright," I replied, hugging her back. "Drive safe. I love you."

My mom pulled away from the hug, smiling. "I love you too and I'm so excited to go to the talent show today."

I smiled at my mom one last time before she ran out the door. My dad quickly hugged me as well.

"I can't wait to hear you sing in front of an audience tonight, mija; I'm already proud of you." My dad said, pulling away from the hug.

"Thanks dad," I replied, grinning. "You're basically the whole reason why I'm doing it."

My dad smiled at me. "I better go now before I make your mom and I any later," my dad said, kissing my cheek. "I love you, mija."

"Bye dad," I said, kissing his cheek. "I love you too and I can't wait for you to see me perform tonight."

My dad smiled at me one last time before running off. I sighed and ran upstairs to get my things. It was Friday and Xavier would be here any minute to pick me up for school.

The talent show was today around 7pm and I was so nervous. I heard a car honk and knew it was Xavier. I quickly swung my backpack over my shoulder and ran downstairs. Time to tackle on the day at school.

~

"Holy shit balls," I said, pacing back and forth with my guitar. "I can't do this. I can't do this."

"Hey, hey, hey," Xavier said, making me look at him. "You're going to be amazing. Destiny, Emma, Belle, the guys, your parents, and I are here for you; you're gonna blow us all away."

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. "Okay," I said, nodding my head. "Okay, I got this."

"Alright, darling," Xavier said, grinning. "I have to go sit in the audience now. I'm so excited to see you perform and I know your dad is too."

I smiled and Xavier ran off. I was currently backstage with everyone else who was going to perform.

I carefully peeked my head out the red curtain and saw Xavier with my friends and family. But, my dad wasn't there yet.

He was probably running late. I don't go on until another ten minutes; he'll make it before then.

I sighed, sitting down on a chair. Suddenly, I had to pee. I quickly stood up and ran off, leaving my things. By the time I came back I was nervously holding my guitar, I had only five minutes until I went up to perform.

As I looked around to pass time, I saw two officers talking to our principal. She then pointed them in my direction with a sad look. They then started approaching me and I wasn't mentally freaking out.

Am I gonna get arrested for illegally downloading 5sos' new album?

"Um, good evening, officers," I said, grinning. "How may I help you?"

"You're Ryan Gonzalez, correct?" One of the officers - the one who asked me this had bad black hair and the other had blonde hair: black and blonde officer - asked.

I slowly nodded my head, confused. "Yes."

The black haired officer looked down and the blonde hair officer looked at me. "We're very, very sorry to inform you that your father passed away." He said.

"What?" I asked, feeling my stomach drop. "You're-you're lying. My dad-my dad is fi-fine. He's going to watch me perform right now. He's on his way now; he'll be here any minute."

"We're sorry," the black haired officer spoke up. "He got into a car accident and died on impact."

It felt like the wind was knocked out of me. I felt like I couldn't breathe, like I was suffocating with his words.

"No, no, no," I cried, shaking my head. "Please-please tell me he's okay." I said, looking at them. "Please tell me he's going to show up any minute!"

"We're very sorry," the blonde officer repeated.

I cupped my mouth, feeling the tears falling down my face faster. I slowly fell to my knees, crying.

"He can't be gone," I whispered. "He told me he wasn't gonna leave me anytime soon."

"Miss, do you-" the black haired officer stopped talking when I pushed him away from me, he was trying to help me up.

I ran. I ran out the back door. I didn't know where I was running to, but I just kept running and running and running, wishing I could just run to my dad's arms.

Xavier's Pov

They called Ryan up about five minutes ago and she never went up. Since no one was up there, another one of the performers went up. I quickly stood up and ran backstage

I looked around for Ryan, but couldn't find her. Instead, I saw our principal talking to two officers. I then saw Mrs. Gonzalez running back here crying, shouting for Ryan.

What is going on? And more importantly, where is Ryan and is she okay?

The officers then started talking to Mrs. Gonzalez to try to calm her down. And in the mix of it all I learned why she was crying and why Ryan ran off; Ryan's dad died. A drunk driver hit his car.

I said my sincerest apology to Mrs. Gonzalez and hugged her for a good five minutes. Afterwards, I ran to the parking lot. I got in my car and started driving my fastest I could.

Think, Xavier think. If you were Ryan, where would you go? If I were her, I'd want to be alone; somewhere where I could think, a special place.

I drove my fastest to my special place and quickly ran up the stairs. I got out in the roof and saw Ryan sitting down On the ledge, looking down.

"Ryan," I said calmly, not wanting to scare her. "Please come over here so we can talk somewhere safely, darling."

"I- I don't...I don't want to talk," She whispered, her voice cracking. "I don't...I don't wanna do anything."

I slowly walked to her and placed my arm on her shoulder. She whimpered and then started crying. I carried her off the ledge and walked us over to the bed. She lied down and curled up as she cried.

I lied down next to her and brought her closer to me.

"I-I don't want him to be gone," Ryan cried as she looked up at me. "I-I-I still need him in my life."

"Darling, I'm sorry," I said, kissing her forehead. "I am so sorry."

Ryan nodded her head, wiping her tears. "Xavier, I miss him," she whispered. "I miss my best friend, my hero...I miss my dad."

I felt a tear roll down my cheek. I was against crying and I hated every aspect of it, but with Ryan, crying seemed okay for once.

She started crying again and I held her tighter. "I don't know what to tell you to make you feel better," I whispered. "I don't think anything can make you feel better."

"Can I just sleep forever now?" Ryan cried. "That sounds pretty good to me."

"Not to me, darling," I said, making her look at me. "I know it's selfish of me, but I still need to see you and be with you. Therefore, you can not sleep forever."

Ryan turned around and curled up into a ball again. She quietly cried and I wrapped my arms around her tighter, wishing I could piece up her broken pieces.

I was in pain too because nothing hurts more than seeing the person you're in love with in pain.

So, uh, things happened...thoughts? Xx

~Jess