The Sweetest Halloween

"Baby, if you wanna go and see daddy at work, you have to hurry up and get your costume on." You told your son, quickly clipping up your hair with a claw clip.

You crouched down, gently tugging your 5 year old closer and fixing his skeleton costume.

"See, now that is a very scary skeleton." You said, gently poking the tip of his button nose and kissing him on the forehead.

"Thanks, mommy. Will daddy know its me? Or be scared?" He asked, his voice soft as he pushed his dark brown hair away from his forehead, the strands being moved away from his ocean blue eyes.

You smiled at his question before responding, "Well, even though you look very scary, I know he will notice you anywhere." You told him, pushing his hair back a bit further for him.

"I'm going to go and get your sister, you try putting on your shoes. Remember the bunny trick for your laces." You said as you stood up, brushing off your jeans.

"Okay!" He beamed and raced off to get his shoes.

Laughing to yourself, you shook your head and began heading to your little girls bedroom, where the door was open and she was sat playing with her toys.

"Hey sweetie," you said softly as you walked in, sitting by your almost-3-year-old.

"Hi mommy," she said sweetly, turning to face you with her big brown eyes, her dark eyelashes framing them beautifully.
You swept her light brown hair back with your fingers, behind her little ear.

"Should we finish getting you dressed so we can go and see daddy at work?" You asked her, scooping her up into your arms easily. Although she was almost 3, she definitely didn't get her dads genes height wise, she was still so tiny.

"Yay!" She squealed, wriggling slightly in your arms.

Grinning, you placed her down onto the floor and grabbed her pumpkin top and orange tutu from the drawer.

"Come here then cutie pie," you told her, and her little feet carried her quickly across the floor as she ran over to you and put her arms up excitedly into the air.

Changing her from her everyday clothes, you put her into the top and tutu, and even clipped a little orange bow into her curly hair.

"Theo! Are you ready to go?" You called out of the room, hearing the pitter patter of his feet as he ran towards his sisters room where you were.

"Yes mommy," he said, giving his hips a little shake of excitement.

"Matilda, have you got your little pumpkin bag like your brother? You know Auntie Penelope always spoils you with candy." You said, ushering them out of the room once Matilda picked up her little bag.

You slipped your boots on by the door, pulling on your long coat and your scarf before grabbing your car keys from the side table.

Getting the kids into the car took at least five minutes, because Theo wanted to sit on the left and so did Matilda. Apparently, in kids world, it is a very big deal.

However, you finally got there, after listening to Spooky, Scary Skeletons and This is Halloween at least 4 times each. As you parked up, the excitement of seeing your husband bubbled in your stomach.
He had been away since Friday, and now it was Monday, and you had missed him so much.
You knew he had missed you, too, the nightly phone calls to you and the kids from Spencer spoke for themselves.

Holding Matilda's hand on your left, and Theo's hand on your right, you headed into the building, greeting everyone you walked by with a smile as they complimented the kid's costumes.