Bad day

You walked onto the plane and exhaustedly threw your bag aside the seats of the plane. Tough case. Extremely tough case. It affected you much more deeply when it involved children, and constantly put a strain on your mind which was still in overdrive.

As a heavy sigh parted through your lips, you took a seat on the plane beside the window. It was three in the morning, meaning it was pitch black outside apart from the dim glow of the stars and the city of L.A which was brightly lit by various buildings. You felt as the aeroplane began moving forward before flying into the air, giving a perfect view of the city below you, though it didn't comfort you as it usually did.

You felt a weight sit beside you on the plane, so you tilted your head, your gaze met he one of your co worker, Dr.Spencer Reid. You smiled weakly before you looked away again, your temple pressed to the window of the plane. You brought your legs to your chest and pushed the heels from your feet to the floor, before your arms enclosed around your legs. You hugged them tightly as a pathetic attempt to comfort yourself.

You could practically feel his soft, hazel-brown eyes as they burned into the side of your face which was visible to him, his gaze intensely fixated as he analysed your behaviour to figure out exactly the source of your distress. Meanwhile, your thoughts were clouded and were taken over as the reality of where you really were slipped between your fingers.

Flashback.

You kicked down the door furiously, your ears ringing with the torturous screams echoing throughout the hut. You raced inside, with Rossi, Hotch, JJ and Reid rushing in right after you. With your bulletproof vest clasped against your chest and your gun clutched within your shaky hand, a chorus of 'FBI!'  was yelled out while you raided the house. The disgusting man was caught and cuffed by Rossi within and instant but it was too late. You were faced with the mutilated bodies scattered around the cramped room, your hand lowering and your gun clashing against the hard wooden floor at the sight.

The freshly murdered, dead body of the child killed minutes before you entered the hut lay by your feet. You felt your stomach turn, your heart sank and your head pounded with thoughts of what you could have done to prevent what had happened.

Before you could look at the horrifying sight in front of you for much longer, Reid grabbed your waist and pulled you out, letting the others take care of it. But it was too late, and the image was burning in your mind.

End of flashback.

You hardly even noticed his hand pressed against your shoulder and the tears that had escaped the very corner of your eye, however the soft shake of his hand on your shoulder finally brought you back to reality. You lifted your head and allowed your slightly red eyes to meet the gaze of Spencer's.

"You really struggled with this case," His soft voice finally filled your ears.

You stayed silent and shrugged your shoulders in reply, pursed your lips tightly together and looked down again.

"If I kicked the door down sooner or just ran faster then maybe-" You began to speak but Spencer leant forward stopped you.

"You can't blame yourself for the turnout of a case, sometimes we can't always save everyone, though that is what we want," he said and you raised your eyebrows at him as a way of telling him 'You are a total hypocrite.'

He sighed and leant back, his tongue moved over his lips before he bit down on his lower one lightly, his eyebrows knitted together as he thought, too distracted to notice his hair that fell over his eyes ever so slightly. You watched him closely, not being able to stop the small, weak smile that threatened to play on your lips. Very attractive, Doctor Reid. Now that's a sight.

"I'm not very good at comforting people," He murmured as he looked up from the book he was reading extremely fast. 20,000 words per minute, you recalled. It stayed fairly silent for a good few minutes, and though he was staring down at his book.

You concluded that he was trying to think of something to say or do to make you feel better. He always did hate seeing you distressed or upset.

"But I am aware that everybody else is asleep on the plane and I strongly dislike seeing you upset," Spencer finally countered, breaking the silence. He set his book aside before he walked over to you, stood in front of your seat moments later.

You looked up at him, wiped your under eye and smiled weakly. You eyed his lanky frame before you moved ever so slightly, which left just enough space for Spencer to wedge himself into the same seat you were in. You sniffled softly and released your arms from your legs and instead snaked them around his thin torso, snuggling yourself into his side. His arm draped over your shoulder and he tugged you even closer, if that was humanly possible, before he used his free hand to push your hair back from your damp cheeks.

You felt a rush of warmth across your cheeks as well as through your whole body as you closed your eyes contentedly with your head nuzzled into Spencer's chest. You then felt an unfamiliar flutter course throughout your stomach and chest as his soft, pink lips came into contact with your temple.

"Thank you," You muttered out finally, before you gave him a gentle squeeze to ensure him of your satisfaction regarding the current situation of which you and the cute doctor were in.

"You don't have to thank me," He replied, and you could still feel his stare fixated on your face which was pressed into his sweater vest.

"But I know what you're like when it comes to being so close to people and comforting them, I appreciate this," You spoke softly with a light shrug of your shoulders. You glance up towards him and smiled at the sight of him looking down at you. You just wanted to squish his cheeks together and kiss him all over. He did look utterly adorable when he was sleepy and concerned. He also smelled of coffee and fabric softener, however you found it very soothing and oh so very welcoming.

You were quickly snapped out of your intense gaze as well as your thoughts when his voice filled the air around the both of you, smushed together in the confined space of one aeroplane seat.

"Actually, I quite like holding you," He whispered, which resulted in you holding him tighter, your reply being spoken through the action of your tight cuddle. He quite likes holding you.
Those words swirl around your head for a good few moments.

However, you soon closed your eyes as did he, though it was rare he rested on the flight. You didn't complain, though. You could feel his heartbeat differ from rapid to fast as he began to drift off into a slumber, and the very sound alone of the soft thumps of his heart was more than enough to make you feel safer, and content. His heartbeat was also a constant reminder that he really was there, and allowed you to sink into and revel in the moment of being so close to the cute Doctor Reid.

"Sleep," You suddenly heard his hoarse, sleepy voice in your ear.

"I can still hear your fast breathing, so I know you're awake," He stated, which made you smile and relax even more so in his arms.

As the pad of his thumb drew soft circles on your cheekbone, the both of you finally began to fall asleep together to the sounds of one another's breathing patterns, more content than ever before. Your heartbeats, your breathing patterns and your bodies felt entwined at that very moment.

You and Spencer remained this close throughout the rest of the flight, indicating that maybe this could be the spark that began something amazing. Something that seemed to fit just perfectly, and you and Spencer were the only two of the team that didn't realise how right it really was. Something about the two of you was so tender, so warm.

This is how you wanted your flights home from various cases is various cities to be every single time.

Something really positive does come out of a bad day, you see. Maybe you fell into something else as you fell asleep, and it was something you were certainly not waking up from anytime soon.

Doctor Spencer Reid was your light of a dark, bad day. And he was going to become the light of many of your days.

"As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once." ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars.