Chapter Four

Hayat Azhar

"It's over. We're going to die. He's going to skin us alive!"

I grabbed Rabail to stop her from pacing around the bathroom and shot her a confused look. "What are you saying?"

"Do you have the slightest idea who that guy was?" she burst out in panic, eyes wide. "That was Sameer; Sage. You know why people call him Sage? Because his eyes are famous for being sage colored and you threw the chutney at his eyes! Hell, his family is in the politics. That makes it easier for him to kill us!"

"Wait, wait." I held her back, shaking my head. "It wasn't like I hit him on purpose. I'll apologize if needed."

"You don't get it!" she exclaimed in exasperation. "Nobody dares to even raise their voice at him and you humiliated him in front of the university!"

"I didn't!" I protested, becoming frustrated as well. "It was an honest mistake, Rabail."

"You think that's going to make any difference?" she countered, crossing her arms. "These are the rich and spoiled kids we're talking about, Hayat. They couldn't care less about honest mistakes. If you get off on the wrong foot, they can and they will ruin your life."

As much as I wanted to tell her she was overreacting, she had a point.

Getting on the nerves of the wrong people when you didn't have enough connections was like having a death wish. Especially if the person you messed with was not only wealthy but also came from a powerful family that was involved in the politics.

Why? Because they could easily wipe your existence from the surface of the world and nobody would know.

"That's right!" Rabail suddenly snapped her fingers. "That senior professor you mentioned, we need to talk to him."

"What?" I gawked at her. "But—no, I mean can't we try handling this matter ourselves?"

Sure Zohaib had given me Sir Nadeem's number, but I didn't want to use it this soon.

"Hayaaat!" Rabail grasped my shoulders and shook me. "This is not up for debate. Call him right now before things get worse."

My eyes narrowed, studying her apprehensive expression before I reluctantly took out my phone.

Pressing Zohaib's chat, I scrolled up until I found the text where he had shared Sir Nadeem's contact.

He picked up after a great deal of time.

I cleared my throat. "Hello, Assalamu Alaikum?"

"Walaikum Assalam. Who's this?" His voice was stern and hostile, it made me want to cut the call but I forced myself not to do that.

"I'm Hayat Azhar. Zohaib gave me your number...Professor Nadeem, right?"

"Ah! Zohaib. Yes, yes." His voice turned cheerful all of a sudden and I blinked. "How are you, beta? Are you in the university today? You should come meet me."

Well, that was easy.

"Yes, I actually did want to meet you. When would be a good time?"

"Come right away if you'd like, I'm in my office."

I smiled. "Okay, thank you."

I turned around with a bright expression but it faltered when I noticed Rabail was gone.

She was here a moment ago.

"Rabail?" I called out, cautiously advancing forward and scanning the bathroom stalls. I found her in the last cubicle, balancing herself atop the toilet seat.