Chapter Twenty Six

Thank you for 10k reads and triple 5 followers!

╾═════════════╼

Hayat Azhar

There would be silence before a storm.

And I was narrowly surviving the foreboding silence after having invited a storm upon myself.

What I did was wrong. It was so very inconsiderate of me.

Had I been thinking right, I would've never been so harsh to even my sworn enemy and stoop low enough to remark on a deceased member. But I wasn't thinking right and it was purely unintentional.

But not intending it didn't change the fact that I had crossed a line.

I was equally frustrated at how a single mistake on my behalf made every horrible thing Sameer had ever said or done to me seem trivial. This one mistake made me seem more awful than all the things he'd done collectively.

I let go of my hair after securing the strands into dutch braids, feeling them return to their idle position at the middle of my back and stared into the distance, feeling my nerves twist.

Sameer did not retaliate in any way.

I was sure he'd have me fired from the haveli and I'd lose my job after what I said to him but I didn't even see him again after that day at the parking lot.

None of the employees were asked to go to his room either because from what I heard, he wasn't feeling well and didn't want anyone disrupting his privacy.

I also didn't see him at the university. It was ironic how when I wanted to avoid him, I'd run into him everywhere. And now that I wanted to find him and perhaps apologize, he was nowhere to be found.

For the first time I was being suspicious of things becoming quiet. I couldn't help but feel something was brewing while I basked in peace.

Was I maybe overthinking?

Because on the other hand, Shazain had also gone silent. The last time he contacted me was through the note he left in the kitchen of the Malik haveli.

But where Sameer was being utterly confusing, I had two possibilities for Shazain's behavior.

Either he knew trespassing on the haveli freaked me out and he wanted to give me space to recover from the shock.

Or two, seeing me up close made him realize I wasn't as attractive or as beautiful as he thought I was in that dark bus and he lost all interest.

The second option actually hurt me a little. I mean yes, I wasn't extraordinary looking or something but still. It kind of hurt.

Wait. Where am I going with this?

What hurt? That a criminal wasn't obsessed with me anymore? I should be glad he wasn't, no matter what the reason was.

Shaking my head, I smoothed down my black dress with silver pearls adorning the upper half body and silver lace bordering the corner of the sleeves.