Chapter Ten

a/n : i thought of stopping by earlier, hehe. surprise update.

╾═════════════╼

Hayat Azhar

Cold wind blew past me, flapping my chaddar wildly as I forced myself to walk up to the stairs.

I heard Sameer wasn't home most of the times and hoped I'd finish my shift without having to run into him.

My eyes caught Asra watching some show in the hallway and I reluctantly walked up to her.

She glanced up. "You're here? Nani has been asking about you. What took you so long?"

Guilt pierced me. How could I tell her that I had come here against my will? I hated being here.

"Um...I'm sorry. There were some matters I had to take care of at home."

"Are you sure?" Laiba's voice cut through the air as she strutted from behind me, looking resentful. "So you're not late because Dadi gave you those five thousand rupees yesterday? You think you're free to come here whenever you feel like it now?"

My mouth fell. "No, that's not it."

"Laiba, don't be so harsh." Asra shot her a shocked look to which Laiba rolled her eyes.

"Harsh? What's so harsh about reminding her what her job is. We pay her, she's obligated to be here on time. Letting small mistakes slide is what makes these people entitled freeloaders."

Her words stung. I didn't mean to come off that way. I just wanted to return their money and never step foot inside these halls again. I really did. But I couldn't.

"I'm sorry. I'll try to be on time from now onwards," I promised earnestly, feeling more miserable by the second.

She arched her perfect eyebrows, looking me down. "Don't try; be on time."

Then, she spun on her heel and stomped out of the door, yelling out an order to the driver. Asra stared at me with a sympathetic expression before clearing her throat.

"Nani's in her room. You should probably go to her."

I nodded my head and left the main hall to dadi's room. In my gloominess, I raised my knuckles and knocked. Once I was given the permission to enter, I mentally prepared myself to get scolded yet again for being late.

However, Dadi smiled upon seeing me. "It's you, Hayat. How are you, beta?"

"I'm good," I replied, keeping my voice as polite as I could. "I'm sorry for being late on my first day."

"It's alright. You're on time, I was on my way to make wudu to pray." She stood up. "Come and help me."

"Yes, of course." I sprung on my feet and grabbed her for support.

We went inside her luxurious bathroom and I helped her do Wudu. Once that was done, she instructed me to iron her clothes.

I grabbed her clothes from the opulent closet and was glad the iron table was in a section of the room near the closet.

It didn't take long for me to be done with this task either. I hung the clothes back on the hanger and placed them over her bed.

"Asra told me you made tasty kheer yesterday," she said after a while. "I did not have the chance to taste it but I want you to make it again for my kitten. He likes sweet dishes."

I cringed internally. Her kitten? I was supposed to make kheer for that distasteful, insufferable guy?

I cared about the food I made. I put love and effort into making everything. Why would I let that guy have a taste of my love?