Chapter Nineteen

a/n : dedicated to @Ashygirl, this was fun to write.

╾═════════════╼

Hayat Azhar

"Organizational behavior is..."

I placed a hand over my mouth to stifle a yawn while struggling to keep my eyes open.

Sania had dozed off on time as usual while I had to study late at night to complete my university work.

Going to the haveli after the university took all my time during the day. I only had the night to study. Thus despite being half asleep, I forced myself to stay awake and go through my notes.

The sound of my ringtone startled me up. I put my register and pen to the side and turned to my phone, staring at the screen.

No Caller ID.

My eyebrows pulled together dubiously. It was the same number that had sent me those texts and had been calling me. My mind was distracted and I had forgotten about this whole deal but the calling started again.

Should I answer it?

I mean, this person had been texting me as if they knew me. I felt bad, honestly.

How was I going to break the news that they had the wrong number? They'd feel awkward beyond words.

Contemplating over the matter for some seconds, I slid my thumb to the right and pressed the phone against my ear, stepping out of the room.

"Assalamu Alaikum." A deep masculine voice was heard on the other end; it was strangely familiar although I doubted I ever heard it before.

I cleared my throat. "Wa Alaikum Assalam." I replied in a polite tone, feeling the second hand embarrassment for the man.

"How are you doing?" The voice was smooth and the words flowed suavely.

I knitted my eyebrows together in suspicion. Did he not realize it was a wrong number yet?

"I'm good." I responded kindly, waiting for him to figure out his mistake. "Um, who are you?"

"Whoever you want me to be."

My face scrunched. "Sorry. Who do you want to speak to?"

"Exactly the person I'm speaking to right now." The reply came out soft. I strained my ears to catch anything suspicious on the other end. All I got was silence.

"But I don't think I know you."

This suddenly felt like a prank call. I should've had cut it. But being the curious person that I unfortunately was, I couldn't end it until I had confirmed that I was being tricked.

"And I think you do know me."

At this, I almost laughed out in disbelief. Forget being polite and sweet. This was definitely a prank. Islam instructed women not to speak sweetly with strangers and now I understood why; some men took that as a cue to be weirdos like this.

Gosh, people really had a lot of time to waste.

Although, he did have a nice voice.