Chapter Twenty Seven

Sameer Malik

I raised a brow, catching the disapproving look in the guy's eyes and resisted the urge to check Hayat's reaction—or how different she looked tonight—as she dropped the napkin on the table ahead.

"Right, um, I'll be right back then." I had to bite back a smirk at the panicked strain to her voice as she stood up with shaky movements.

She was beyond scared.

It made sense. After all, I was just a mannerless, self-centered, obnoxious, disrespectful snob to her.

No nice guy whatsoever.

She called me a despicable hypocrite. But I simply found it easier to adopt different personalities when it came to different people.

Everyone knew a different version of me and that kept my true face hidden; nobody could use anything against me because nobody knew who I really was. Though Hayat might not be able to understand this logic.

In all honesty, it would've been funny to do exactly what she had said I was capable of doing; use my family's authority and goons' manpower—as she had put it—to trample her life over.

But where was the fun in being predictable?

So instead, I chose to be unpredictable for her.

I kept my attention trained on the guy sitting across me as Hayat walked off toward the stairs and frowned to myself.

This was her definition of perfect?

Quite clearly, that girl needed a new dictionary.

His hair was gelled back and he had a face you'd see in every other street, not that it was his fault, of course. The guy didn't invent genetics.

Besides, lacking in the looks department wasn't the end of the world. You didn't need an attractive face to be good enough; those who believed otherwise were shallow.

If one lacked in his looks, he simply made up for it some other way, for instance with the way he carried himself.

Folding my arms, I leaned back while studying the so called 'wonderful' man's body language.

It wouldn't take a genius to figure out he was not comfortable in my presence.

"So a tech company?" I started, keeping my eyes on him. At least he had the guts to hold my gaze. "Are you a manager or something?"

He cleared his throat before responding. "No, not yet."

Although his words conveyed his hope of a better position in the future, I pulled a frown onto my face. "So you're just a regular employee? That puts you at a risk, man. With how things are nowadays, companies are always looking for better candidates to replace their current ones."

"...I suppose."

Watching his stiff posture, it was clear my social status had already made him wary of me. He didn't seem too thrilled by the idea of arguing so he kept his answers short.

"If you want, I can have a talk with your company men, fix a permanent position for you at the office. My connections are quite vast, it won't be a big deal."