Chapter Twenty Three

Hayat Azhar

"Come on, get out already!" I exclaimed in a hurry, handing Sania her backpack.

"I forgot my water bottle." She screeched and I released a groan, running to the kitchen to retrieve it for her.

I had slept last night in hopes Sania would wake me up for the tea but because she ditched me, I didn't set an alarm for the morning and now we were both running late.

Once Sania was ready to go, I rushed back to the room and braided my hair without combing through the tangled strands and fixed my dupatta and chaddar in place.

At least I wouldn't need to worry about a bad hair day.

"Okay, ammi. I'm off." I called out while scuttling to the front door. I had already missed half of my first class and wanted to make it to the university before the second one started at least.

Throwing my tote bag over the shoulder, I continued down the street towards the main road to get a rickshaw while my mind drifted off.

Last night was the second time Shazain said he wanted me. Even though I didn't know in what sense he meant it, I knew I had to tell Zohaib about it before the situation turned worse.

I also knew it could lead to my family restricting me from going to the university or outside at all, but I was afraid withholding the truth may end up making my life worse than having restrictions.

Okay. First things first, let's get to the university and then think about my next move.

Quickly glancing both ways, I started to cross the road when my phone buzzed in my bag and I paused.

Seriously? That criminal was already calling this early in the morning?!

Maybe keeping my phone switched off was better for my nerves.

Standing in the middle of the vast road, I dug around my bag. The moment my fingers touched the cool metal, a loud thunder pierced my ears and my head snapped up, seeing a car coming right at me in full speed.

The car did not slow down and I paled. What the hell? Was the driver asleep?

No. I should get out of the way.

My legs jerked forward three steps and the car swerved in the same direction. I gasped and quickly backtracked only for the car to follow me along.

Can I survive a car hit?

This was Shazain Sardar's fault. He distracted me in the middle of the road.

With no choice left, I froze in my place like an idiot and stared at the car barreling down the road, certain that I was going to get run over.

But at the last moment, the driver applied the brakes and the tires screeched, making me wince at the sound.

I held my heart in relief. But in the next moment, it disappeared when I recognized the flashy sports car and internally groaned at my unbelievable timing.

The door to the driver's seat rammed open and Sameer jumped out, his green hoodie highlighting his sage eyes, looking furious.

Of course. Only an idiot like Sameer would be over-speeding within the streets of the neighborhood, not bothering about the law.

The haveli and my house both followed the same route to the main road so it wasn't unordinary to see Sameer here. However, I didn't think we'd actually be going to the university at the same time.

"What the hell?" Sameer hissed to himself, storming to the front of his car to assess it for any nonexistent damage.

He then turned to me and I scowled to myself, already knowing what was going to happen.