I: FIRST SHIFT

Claudia never wanted to get a job. Her mom wasn't exactly rich, but she was well off enough to provide for Claudia until she left high school. Still, she wanted her to get a job. She felt like she needed more independence.

She'd tried applying for jobs that catered to her interests, like working in a clothes store, or a salon, but none of them wanted her. Her last resort was a little ice cream shop in Starcourt Mall: Scoops Ahoy.

She hated the idea of it. The stupid costumes, the possibility of spilling ice cream on herself, and all of the kids. God, the kids. The day of her first shift was a Saturday, a day she'd usually spend with her  friends, who were much richer than her, and weren't being made to get jobs. Unfortunately, work was now her top priority.

She drove to the mall, parking up in the overly crowded car park. It took her ages to find a space, and she had to be in the store in the next five minutes. The day was already starting out terribly, and it was only eleven am.

When she finally found her space and got to the store, she was luckily on time, being told to change into her uniform in the back.

She looked ridiculous. In fact, she almost cried of embarrassment when seeing herself in the ridiculous little sailor hat. And the shorts? God, the shorts. She walked out to the counter, rolling her eyes.

People were seated, eating their ice creams, meaning they'd been served, but her coworkers, who she was yet to meet, were nowhere to be seen. That was annoying.

A group of four people kids, three boys and one girl, no older than thirteen, approached the counter. She first boy, who had dark hair that reached his collar, began to ring the bell. "What?" Claudia asked.

"Is Steve here?" The boy asked.

"Who's Steve?"

"Steve Harrington?"

"He works here? That's so embarrassing," Claudia complained. She already looked stupid, she didn't wanna look stupid in front of Steve.

"Is he here or not?" The boy asked impatiently.

"I don't know, man, it's my first day."

"Where's the other girl?"

"What other girl?"

As if on cue. A girl walked through the door. "Hey, dingus, your children are here!" She called. Claudia didn't bother to look at the girl, instead looking to the window which Steve opened. She was glad to not be the only one who looked stupid in the uniform.

"Again? Seriously?" Steve said, "Oh my God, hey Claudia! You look even dumber than I do."

Claudia rolled her eyes. "Pretty audacious coming from someone who's only good quality is now covered by some dumb ass sailors hat."

"Harsh."

Steve walked away, leading the kids through the door and disappearing. Claudia finally turned to the other girl, holding her hand out to introduce herself. "Claudia Fuenetes. I don't think we've met," she said.

"Are you serious?" The other girl asked. Claudia raised an eyebrow, until Robin lifted her hand. On it was a handmade bead bracelet, with a red and orange pattern.

"Oh my god, Robin. I'm sorry, I-"

"You took yours off."

"I mean, we're not exactly besties anymore. I had to make room for another one. My boyfriend got me it, isn't it-"

Claudia's boyfriend was called Daniel. He was awful. Physically and emotionally abusive, but very good at getting Claudia to stay. Little did she know, she wouldn't be with him for much longer.

Robin took the bracelet of her wrist and dropped it on the floor. "Have a fun first day, Claudia."

Robin walked through the same door Steve had just left through, and didn't come back out. It was a fair enough reaction, Claudia thought. She picked up the bracelet from the floor, inspecting it. She still had hers at home, buried in a draw by other old memories. She placed it down on the counter, and turned to the girl who was stood waiting to be served. She wore a blue shirt with multi-coloured overalls. She had, embarrassingly, seen the whole thing.

"Some friend," she said.

"Just tell me what ice-cream you want, kid," Claudia said. She could not be dealing with sassy ten year olds on her first shift.

"I want a sample of that one."

Claudia's shift finished and she finally went home

Claudia's shift finished and she finally went home. Steve and Robin, on the other hand, had a longer shift. Claudia was gonna start working the same amount as them, but their boss decided to give her a shorter shift for her first day.

They were getting ready to lock up when Steve picked up Robin's bracelet from the counter. "Hey, Robin, isn't this yours?" He asked.

"No," she replied.

"Yeah, it is."

"No, it's not, just put it in the trash."

Steve grabbed her hand and slipped the bracelet onto her wrist. "Be the bigger person and talk to her. Claudia's nice, she's just a little tone deaf sometimes."

"Whatever."