XXXV: RETURN

They parked the van in the middle of a field, where no one would find them. They all got out, and Robin quickly sped over to Claudia. "I think we need to talk," she said.

"Yeah, right," Claudia said. They walked around behind the van, we no one could see them.

"What was that?" Robin asked.

"I don't know. I guess I'm just really insecure about Vickie. I mean, first the pep rally thing, and now this. I just- She's so pretty, Robin. She's way more prettier than me, and the idea of her even being around you is so worrying, because she could just, like, take you at any moment and-"

"What do you mean take me?"

"I mean, come on. She's in band, she shared your interests. She's really pretty. She seems sweet, and cool, and-"

"You're all of those things and more, Claudia! I can't believe you're even doubting yourself right now. I'd never leave you. Not for Vickie and not for anyone. You're my girl."

Claudia hugged Robin, and Robin stroked her hair, kissing her forehead. "Your hair's still a mess," Claudia pointed out.

"Dia! Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know, it's kind of hot."

"You are so-"

"Kind? Beautiful? Amazing?"

"Annoying."

"Yeah, and you love it."

Claudia grabbed Robin's face, pulling her into her and locking their lips. Robin kissed her back, but pulled away when it started to get heated. "We're so out in the open," she laughed.

"What? Like anyone's gonna see us?"  Claudia said, leaning back into Robin. Robin let it go on for a minute, obviously enjoying this new side to Claudia, but pulled away for a second time.

"We need to get our weapons ready," she said, "Soon, though, soon."

"Fine," Claudia said.

They made their way back to Steve. "What took you guys so long?" He asked.

"We were, um, arguing," Robin said.

They filled up alcohol bottles with the gasoline, then put cloths in them

They filled up alcohol bottles with the gasoline, then put cloths in them. "Guys, call me paranoid, but I have this terrible, gnawing feeling that it might not work out for us this time," Robin said.

"You think we shouldn't be doing this?" Steve asked.

"I think we're mad fools, the lot of us, but... but if we don't stop him, who will?"

Claudia looked over at everyone. Dustin, Eddie and the Sinclairs were playing around with their new weapons. If Claudia didn't know any better, she'd think they were just a few kids, having a bit of fun.

"We have to try, right?" She said.

"Yeah," Steve said, holding up one of the bottles, "To killing Vecna."

Robin grabbed a bottle, "Slash Henry," she said.

Claudia held up her bottle, too, "Slash One."

They clinked their bottles together. Claudia had wanted to reassure Robin that they'd all be okay, that she had nothing to worry about, but this wasn't evil Russians. This wasn't something that the military could save them from, and Eleven wasn't here with her powers to help them. This was all them. Their human power against what Claudia had now labelled as some sort of monster king. She didn't know if all of them would die, but one of them had to, it was inevitable, and the more she thought about it, the more she worried that it would be her or Robin.

 She didn't know if all of them would die, but one of them had to, it was inevitable, and the more she thought about it, the more she worried that it would be her or Robin

They got dressed head to toe in green camo, and the van was totally silent on the drive to the Creel house. Lucas, Max and Erica all got out there, and Steve continued driving to their next stop: Eddie's trailer. The sheets and mattress they'd set up was still there, and they'd ran through their plan about a hundred times.

Steve was the first in the Upside Down, then Nancy, then Eddie, Robin, Claudia, Dustin. Steve, Nancy, Robin and Claudia left the trailer to go to the Creel house, and Eddie and Dustin.

Steve turned to the two. "Hey, guys, listen. If things here start to go south, I mean, at all, you abort. Okay? Draw the attention of the bags, keep them busy for a minute or two, we'll take care of Vecna. Don't try to be cute, or be a hero or something. Okay? You guys are just-"

"Decoys," Dustin said, "Don't worry. You can be the hero, Steve."

"Absolutely," Eddie said, "I mean look at us. We are not heroes." They began to walk away, before Eddie drew their attention again. "Hey, Steve? Make him pay."

author speaks
short chapter but i like eddie's line and want it to end on something cool so